Basketball fans gather in Mount Pleasant to support team

main_fan

Romulus native Kevin Stobbe stands up and cheers for the mens basketball team during the Championship Game on March 14 at Quicken Loans Arena.

A crowd gathered inside O’Kelly’s Bar and Grill an hour before the tipoff of the Mid-American Conference title game as Central Michigan University men’s basketball fans started to settle in.

There was a low, nervous murmur between bites of burgers and sips of beer amongst the maroon and gold-clad patrons.

“I’ve been watching this team from the first dribble of the first game,” said Matt DeVries a 2010 CMU alumnus. “I’ve been waiting for the MAC Championship game. This weekend has been on my calendar for months.”

An occasional “fire up chips” could be heard from the crowd.

“I love it because it reminds me of the Dan Majerle days,” said alumna Billie Plouff. “I’m still nervous for the game, but I’m confident. I think the team is focused.“

There were few seats left vacant by the time tipoff drew nearer. Soon, all screens tuned into the championship game, leaving no fan without a view of the contest.

“After three years here, we know that this is the place to be,” Toledo junior Alex Knollman said. “They are going to give you the game day atmosphere.”

The once nervous murmur escalated to excited cheers as the Chippewas battled the Buffalo Bulls. Every 3-pointer made was met with a wave of applause, while any success the University at Buffalo achieved was met with thunderous boos.

“There’s no doubt everyone here is into the game,” Knollman said. “They are up and cheering after every play. It’s a great atmosphere.”

In Cleveland, juniors Chris Fowler and John Simons were leading the Chippewas on the court to the joy of many CMU fans. The pair earned the respect of many fans during the first three year’s of their CMU careers.

CMU Athletics Secretary Paula Erskin was one of the supporters in attendance.

“Simons is a leader, but he is very quiet about what he does,” Erskin said. “He is confident. I love the threes.”