Chuck Mahone running uncontested for SGA presidency

img_0015_copy

Student Government Association President Chuck Mahone speaks at the SGA meeting Monday, Jan. 26, 2015 in Pearce hall. 

For the first time in Student Government Association history, the race for presidency will be an uncontested. Chuck Mahone and Vice Presidential candidate Maggie Blackmer, were announced to be the only two candidates on the bill at Monday's meeting.

“This (uncontested presidential race) is something that has never happened and it’s weird in a sense because competition breeds excellence and I’ve always thought that,” Mahone said. “But I also think that it’s very humbling to think that no one ran against us because they feel Maggie and I will do a good job.

Mahone and Blackmer will still need to receive 50 percent of the vote in order to be voted in as president and vice president. At least 50 percent of the votes cast will need to be in favor of the two.

Even though they face no challengers, Mahone said that this will not diminish his and Blackmer’s campaign.

“Even though Maggie and I are running uncontested, you will not see a lower level of dedication,” Mahone said. “You will not see us slacking or working any less hard that we would if we were running against 50 other people.”

As a result of the uncontested race, what was once being called the President/Vice President Debate has since been renamed the “Presidential Press Conference,” according to Elections Director, Josh Palmer.

Rather than having the presidential candidates engage in a moderated debate, Mahone and Blackmer will explain their running policies and explain to attendees why they are right for their positions. The press conference will take place at 8 p.m. on Monday, March 23 in Anspach 162.

Voting for candidates will take place online from Monday, March 30 through Friday, April 3.

Results will be announced during a press conference the following Monday, April 6 at 5:30 p.m. in the UC Rotunda.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →