COLUMN: Softball has championship potential

Last year was a season to remember for the Central Michigan University softball team.

The Chippewas posted a 34-22 record, which was the most wins the program has had in a season since 2002.

While the team was unable to defend it’s 2013 Mid-American Conference Tournament title, CMU made it to the quarterfinals in 2014.

The 2015 season will see much, if not more of the same successes because of the team’s strongest asset: An experienced infield.

Seniors Trista Cox and Carolann Sexauer will take charge in the Chippewas lineup as offensive and defensive leaders.

Sexauer led CMU with 102 assists last season and is well on her way to matching that mark with 23 in the first nine games she played. The shortstop has been efficient so far in 2015 with an above team average fielding percentage of .951.

She leads the team with a .379 batting average in her first 29 at bats.

Cox knocked in 12 home runs in 2014 with 40 runs batted in and a .343 batting average. The Indiana-native has started this season just as strong with 10 RBIs and two home runs in her first 41 at bats of the season.

CMU also has an interesting mix of youth in this season’s lineup that will also play a crucial role this season.

In the circle, the Chippewas return sophomore pitcher Rachael Knapp. The Saint Joseph native went 15-6 with a 2.21 earned run average in her freshman season.

Knapp was instrumental for CMU down the stretch last season and has carried over some of her success to the 2015 season. Knapp started the season pitching 4 complete games and two shutouts in her first six starts.

Following the departure of senior outfielder Brittney Horan, freshman outfielder Lacy Tolfree will be a welcome addition at the plate. As of March 8, Tolfree has started her CMU career with a .324 batting average and a .432 on base percentage.

If CMU can match this production this spring, the Chippewas will reclaim the MAC title once again.