Without Sexauer in lineup, softball falls to Penn

athletics

Central Michigan University’s softball team ended its first weekend of play in the USF Tournament on a disappointing note, falling to the University Pennsylvania 1-0.

Despite a quality effort by freshman pitcher Taylor Weaver, CMU’s bats remained silent throughout the game.

“(Weaver) pitched a great game. It’s the best game of her collegiate career,” said Head Coach Margo Jonker.

Sunday's loss dropped the Chippewas to a 2-3 tournament record and a 4-10 on the season. CMU was outscored 12-11 through the tournament’s first weekend.

“We’ve become more consistent as we’ve been playing," Jonker said. "We’re happy we’ve been more consistent but we just need to get the offense to be more consistent.”

The team played Sunday's game without its senior offensive leader, shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer, who was scratched from the lineup due to an injury, and is expected to miss extended time.

CMU has two days off before it takes on the University of Maine at 1 p.m. on Wednesday.

“Everybody needs to be more aggressive at the plate," Jonker said. "We need to continue to be solid on defense.”

Saturday's action

CMU claimed two victories and even its record to 2-2 in the USF Tournament on Saturday.

In their first game, the Chippewas shut out Boston College 2-0. Sophomore Rachael Knapp pitched a complete-game, surrendering two hits while striking out seven.

It was a scoreless tie until freshman outfielder Lacy Tolfree’s 2-RBI triple in the top of the seventh inning gave CMU the lead for good.

Tolfree had three hits in her four at-bats and was a crucial part of the Chippewa’s offense against the Eagles.

CMU defeated the University of Wisconsin in a similar fashion hours later. Only this time, the big hit for the Chippewas came during the game’s opening frame.

Sophomore first baseman Kristen Goodall knocked a 2-run home run to left with two outs in the first inning to give the Chippewas a lead. 

Junior second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure added an insurance run with a solo homer in the fourth to put CMU at a 3-0 advantage.

Freshman Hanna Warren pitched the second complete-game of the day, giving up five hits and a walk, while striking out two batters.

Frustrating first day down south

Offense was at a premium during CMU’s first matchup of the USF Tournament.

Knapp threw six and two-thirds innings, striking out 10 batters on four hits and walking one. The sole run she gave up was unearned.

CMU was able to get two hits and had nine runners on base in total but they failed to score. 

“One game we pitched well and played good defense and didn’t hit. The other game we hit well and we didn’t pitch,”  Jonker said. 

Even when the offense did show up in game two against Mercer University it was not enough to secure a victory, as the Chippewas dropped game two of the day 10-6 to the Bears.