Extra Points: A recap of the latest CMU Athletics news

athletics

Tisdale hopes new lacrosse complex will serve as  'place to call home' for first varsity team

By: Joe Judd

The addition of a new women’s lacrosse team to Central Michigan University also brings a new lacrosse complex.

The $8 million project is expected to be completed by mid-September.

Sara Tisdale, the first head coach of the women’s lacrosse team, said the facility will symbolize the start of something special within CMU Athletics.

“The facility is a great addition to our athletic community in general,” Tisdale said. “It’s going to give our lacrosse student-athletes a place to really call home.”

The new field, according to Tisdale, will consist of a team gathering room as well as a locker room. The field will be made of synthetic turf and comes with lights, allowing the team to practice and play games after hours.

“The biggest advantage is we won’t be weather-dependent,” Tisdale said. “We’ll be able to get after it every single day no matter what Mother Nature throws at us.”

Synthetic turf is more popular than natural grass for lacrosse teams and Tisdale said the playing surface will be another advantage for her team, especially when it comes to traveling for road game.

As construction of the facility is underway, Tisdale is busy recruiting.

“I’m really excited about the class we’re bringing in here, which features 27 incoming freshmen,” she said. “It’s a great group of young ladies who will be top-notch in the classroom and also, we think, on the field.”

Baseball’s Logan Regnier, Deeg given conference weekly honors

By Mark Cavitt

Staff Reporter

For the second consecutive week a Chippewa was honored with the Mid-American Conference West Division Player of the Week Award.

Junior right fielder Logan Fielder was named player of the week.

Meanwhile, sophomore pitcher Nick Deeg earned the MAC West Division Pitcher of the Week.

Deeg pitched a complete-game shutout in the Chippeawas’ 11-0 win Friday over Miami (Ohio). He struck out six batters while allowing four hits.

Regnier recorded eight hits last week including six in CMU’s three-game series sweep of Miami (Ohio) last weekend. He also scored five runs and had six runs batted in last week.

For Regnier it’s the second time this season he has been given the MAC West Division Player of the Week honor.

CMU (18-10, 5-1 MAC) plays at 4:05 p.m. Wednesday in Ann Arbor against the University of Michigan.