Baseball hosts Eastern Michigan during three-game homestand

baseball_1

Junior infielder Zack Fields bats during the Central Michigan University baseball team's win over Oakland April 8, 2015 at Theunissen Stadium.

The Central Michigan University baseball team (21-12, 7-2 MAC) has played well against Mid-American Conference opponents this season.

The Chippewas will host another league foe this weekend: Eastern Michigan University at 3:05 p.m. on Friday, 2:05 p.m. on Saturday and 1:05 p.m. on Sunday.

The Eagles (13-19, 4-5 MAC) come in as winners of three of their last four games. In those three wins, EMU has averaged more than seven runs per game.

Sophomore pitcher Nick Deeg ( 5-2, 1.73 ERA) will start Friday while junior pitcher Sean Renzi (0-1, 2.75 ERA) will get his first start of the season Saturday. Junior pitcher Adam Aldred (2-1, 3.79 ERA) will start Sunday.

“Most importantly we’re playing at home and everyone is excited about that,” Aldred said.

Last season the Chippewas swept the season series 3-0 at Oestrike Stadium in Ypsilanti.

The Chippewas have played the Eagles the longest of any MAC opponent with the first game between the two occurring in 1907.

Head Coach Steve Jaksa said playing EMU is special because of the history between the two programs.

“I remember back in the 1970s when I was here playing there were some ferocious games,” Jaksa said. “It’s always been a very good brand of baseball. (Eastern) has been good historically.”

In its last five games, the Chippewas are 3-2 averaging 11.6 runs per game in those three wins against Toledo and Oakland.

Offensively CMU is the strongest it has been all season scoring at least eight runs in five of its past six victories.

Last weekend, EMU won two of its three games against Western Michigan.

EMU had a season high 16 hits in its 11-10 victory over Western Michigan on Sunday.

Wednesday the Eagles defeated Bowling Green 4-1.