Baseball overcomes sloppy conditions to top Toledo 9-5

main_base
Freshman pitcher Alex Troop pitches to freshman catcher Chad Roskelly with Central infielder/outfielder Alex Borglin at bat March 24, 2015, at McLane Baseball Stadium at Kobs Field. It was the Spartans first home game of the season and they defeated the Chippewas, 8-3. Allyson Telgenhof/The State News.

Rain didn't stop Central Michigan University and the University of Toledo in Friday's matchup, but it did slow down both defenses.

The Chippewas (19-11, 6-1 Mid-American Conference) took a 7-0 lead after five innings, with all seven runs being unearned.

Three walks, two errors, one hit and a passed ball allowed CMU to score its first there runs of the game in the third inning. Toledo would bounce back with two unearned runs of its own in the sixth inning, but would still fall Friday 9-5.

"I thought maybe we lost a little bit of intensity when we got up 8-0," said CMU Head Coach Steve Jaksa. "The weather might've had a hair to do with it, but i hate to use that (excuse)."

Sophomore pitcher Nick Deeg (5-2, 1.73 ERA) earned the win, throwing for seven innings while allowing one earned run, three runs and five hits while striking out seven batters.

Junior outfielder Logan Regnier led the Chippewas with three hits and two RBI’s including a double. Senior catcher Tyler Huntey and sophomore outfielder Alex Borglin both tripled and combined for five runs.

CMU and Toledo will play again tomorrow at 7 p.m. with junior Jason Gamble (4-1, 2.84 ERA) on the mound for the Chippewas.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →