Probable cause hearing set for murder suspect

screen_shot_20150420_at_35129_pm

A probable cause hearing has been scheduled for 8:30 a.m. April 23 in the Isabella County courthouse for Mary Bigford, a 52-year-old Lake woman arrested on open murder charges after a Fenton man was found shot to death in the parking lot of Chase Run Apartments.

At the hearing, Judge Eric Janes will determine whether probable cause existed in relation to the shooting. The court will determine whether it is more likely than not that Bigford committed the alleged crime, but the hearing does not prove finding of guilt or innocence. The defendant may waive the hearing.

Bigford was arrested at her home on Saturday, hours after Lawrence Howard Jr., 39, was found dead after sustaining multiple gunshots in his vehicle while parked in the apartment complex on 3760 S. Isabella Road. Bigford is currently lodged at the Isabella County Jail on charges of first-degree murder, open murder, assault with a dangerous weapon, a felony firearm charge and a dangerous weapon charge. Bigford, the maternal grandmother of Howard’s daughter is being held without bond.

First-degree murder carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. Michigan law states that in open murder, jurors decide if the charge will be first or second-degree murder based on court evidence.

Carrying a dangerous weapon with unlawful intent is a five-year felony and felonious assault is a four-year felony. A felony firearm violation adds two consecutive years to any sentence after the suspect is convicted.

Mount Pleasant Police Officers arrived to the apartment complex shortly after 12:30 p.m. after receiving reports of multiple gunshots. Witnesses at the scene told police that Bigford shot Howard multiple times while he was sitting in the driver’s seat of his silver Dodge Journey.

Mount Pleasant Police Department Public Information Officer Jeff Browne said the shooting appears to be a “family disturbance.”

News Editor Sydney Smith also contributed to this article.

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →