Students compete in annual ExtravaGAMEza

Autographed by gamemakers, the ExtravaGAMEza Hearthstone tournament winner said he will be placing his new Hearthstone poster along the wall of his apartment room in Deerfield Village.

Four tournament games were held for League of Legends, Smash Brothers: Project M, Pokemon and Hearthstone as a part of the spring 2015 ExtravaGAMEza hosted in Pearce Hall on Saturday. Austin Bailey, league of legends tournament competitor said he came because he loves the competition and community.

"I have alway been a competitive player," said the sophomore from Rochester. "(Playing League of Legends) is also a great networking tool, I have friends who I never would have connected with in day to day life."

The gaming event was put on by three student organizations partnered together for the first time: the Game Development and Design Club, Mount Pleasant Trainers (Pokemon club) and CMU League of Legends. 

Dewitt senior Daniel Traub won first place in the Hearthstone tournament, Tyler Waxman won Smash Brothers, and Rockwood junior Anthony Jones won the Pokemon tournament. Traub said he thought he won because of his preparation.

"The big thing for me is I watch a lot of streams and I play pretty consistently," Traub said. "I did a lot of research and during games I was taking notes, that way if I lost the deck I'd know what I'd face again and how much so I could counter it later on."

Game Development Club member Ethan Coggins said the ExtravaGAMEza had a "great turnout," with 65 total registered competitors. 

"We like getting our name out there, holding these events that are about video games just to have fun and bring the community together," said the junior from Howell. "Especially this (event), where this is the first time we have collaborated with multiple clubs at once."

Prizes for the tournament winners included a Hearthstone poster autographed by the gamemakers for the first place winner. Eight competitors paid $5 to register for the Hearthstone tournament, which was used to supply winners with $60, $40 and $20 battle.net gift cards, donated by an unnamed benefactor.

The game makers and publishers of Riot Games donated 40,000 Riot Points, game currency, in total for the League of Legends tournament. They also donated League of Legends shirts to RSO members.

President of the League of Legends and Harrison Township junior Russell Iglehart said the goal for the tournament was to have fun.

"As our (the League of Legends) first tournament we wanted it to be very light and very relaxed," Iglehart said. "We didn't want people to get angry about losses or anything like that."

Mortal Kombat was available to all attendants and competitors for open play. There was also an indie game development competition that showcased seven student-made games. Josh Whaley won with his "Crossing the Road" game design.

A complete list of those who placed in the tournaments and their winnings are below:

League of Legends:

First place: five person team with league names: Dubblelift, patoink, Ezio18, SpaceFetusBirdo, and FlyFool.

Hearthstone:

First place: Dewitt senior Daniel Traub won a $60 Gamestop gift card and a Hearthstone poster autographed by the game makers.

Second place: Nick Poli won a $40 battle.net gift card.

Third place: Ethan Coggins won a $20 battle.net gift card.

Smash Brothers Project M:

First place: Tyler Waxman won a $15 Gamestop gift card, donated by an unnamed benefactor.

Second place: Jack Klimkauski

Third place: Ryan Panganiban

Pokemon:

First place: Rockwood junior Anthony Jones won a championship title belt from Wal-Mart, donated by Port Huron junior Sean Lathrop.

Indie Game Development Competition:

First place: Josh Whaley