Finals week: Five songs to chill students out

After a week of studying and enduring grueling finals, a good chill-out session is needed before students celebrate the end of the semester.

Here are five songs from varied genres to help you de-stress when it's all said and done.

Model 500 – Astralwerks

Model 500 is the pseudonym for legendary techno producer Juan Atkins. Spaced-out and searching, Atkins mixes washes of soft sound over a subdued breakbeat that offers ultimate relaxation.

Samuel Barber – Adagio for Strings

This haunting classical piece serves as the backdrop for the more poignant moments in the epic war film "Platoon." Put on this tune, turn off all the lights and lay down on a couch to reach maximum tranquility.

Brian Eno – 1/1

Eno is one of ambient music's elder statesmen, and his "Music for Airports" album is an undisputed masterpiece of sparse piano and keyboard work. The mellow arrangements will help a student find the fast track to nirvana. 

Miles Davis – Flamenco Sketches

The last track off of Davis' seminal "Kind of Blue" album, Flamenco Sketches is the footnote to a collection of songs that are as enjoyable as they are sleep inducing.

Jon Hopkins – Immunity

One of Eno's proteges, Hopkins' "Immunity" album is a romp that mimics your best night out ever. Its tracks range from the raucous to euphoric, and the titular track ends the album like a breathtaking sunset.

About Ben Solis

Ben Solis is the Managing Editor of Central Michigan Life. He has served as a city and university ...

View Posts by Ben Solis →