Hidden gems

Local businesses sometimes overlooked by students, serve special audience

2_jewels
The Diner is located on Mission Street in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

An aroma of freshly baked goods fills the air of Robaire's Bakery and Doughnut shop, which has been a locally owned business in Mount Pleasant for 52 years. 

Locally owned restaurants and fooderies such as The Diner, Robaire's Bakery and Doughnut shop and the Green Tree Co-Operative Company said they're sometimes overlooked by students. 

Cerry Mullins, who has been the kitchen manager at The Diner for 14 years, said mainly locals visit the restaurant, but they see a lot of students on weekends.

"I think what keeps regulars coming back to The Diner is our homemade specials," Mullins said. "Our 'mom and pop' home cooking and our great staff are what make this restaurant."

Business spotlight

The Diner

The Diner gives back to the community themselves by frequently donating to local soup kitchens and organizing holiday gift giving programs for families in need.

894 N. Mission St.

6 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday - Wednesday

6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday - Saturday

Green Tree Co-Operative Grocery

In 2015, Green Tree acquired 60 percent of its produce from local farmers.

214 N. Franklin St.

8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Seven days a week

Robaire's Bakery and Doughnut Shop

To satisfy a sweet tooth and cross another business to visit off the senior bucket list, Robaire Bakery and Doughnut Shop is a good go to. Thanks to its homemade cakes, doughnuts, and cookies, Robaire's has been voted best bakery in Mount Pleasant for the past ten years.

1903 S. Mission St.

5 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday - Saturday

7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday

Robaire's Owner Diana Desormes said the bakery and donut shop gets most of its student customers on the weekend. The shop works with Central Michigan University and does small walk-ins and deliveries. 

Despite their size, local restaurants like The Diner are praised by students such as Oxford sophomore Chrissany Sawyer. She said she loves grabbing a good breakfast with friends on a weekend morning.

"It reminds me of the small restaurants I love back home," Sawyer said. "The Diner is really one of a kind."

The appeal for Desormes in her business is the "homey atmosphere" and the "smell of baked goods."

Many students have yet to discover the locally grown and organic goods carried by Green Tree Co-Operative Grocery, located downtown. Sarah Christensen, who has been the general manager at Green Tree for the past 11 years, said employees of the co-op are what help make the grocery store special.

"When you're at a big chain store, sometimes the staff can't speak well to their products," Christensen said. “Here, our employees are passionate and enthusiastic about what they're selling. If we have a customer with a vegan diet, we're trusted to help figure things out."

Christensen said the products Green Tree provides are the best things about the co-op.

"We have delicious food that's good for you," she said. "We have everything you need for a homemade, healthy dinner--and it's affordable at the same time."

Below are facts and addresses of each featured business.