Letter to the Editor: Support the fight against human trafficking

opinion

TO THE EDITOR:

According to the Polaris Project, the National Human Trafficking Resource Center hotline received 24,062 signals and 5,042 cases in 2014. Additionally, between 2007 and 2014, there were 90,480 signals, 19,724 cases of human trafficking, and 17,345 victims and survivors identified. 

These statistics are heartbreaking, and should inspire policy change. Many people may believe the horror of human trafficking does not take place in Michigan, but in 2012, there were 69 cases. In 2013, there were 118 cases and in 2014, there were 131. Not only do these statistics show that modern day slavery occurs in our backyards, but it speaks to the fact that the prevalence of human trafficking is on the rise. 

That is the reason I write: I hope to express the necessity of passing Michigan House Bill 4056, which desires to “create the human trafficking notification act; to require the posting of certain notices relating to human trafficking; to prescribe the powers and duties of certain state and local departments and agencies; and to provide a remedy.” If this was passed into law, “the department of transportation shall post a human trafficking notice on the premises of each rest stop and welcome facility in this state."

Each notice would be a flyer, no smaller than 8-1/2 inches by 11 inches, and would read “If you or someone you know is being forced to engage in any activity and cannot leave, whether it is commercial sex, housework, farm work or any other activity, please contact the National Human Trafficking Resource Center hotline at 1-888-373-7888 or text 20 233733 to access help and services. The victims of human trafficking are protected under U.S. laws and the laws of this 22 state.” 

If rest stops and facilities did not comply with the requests, they would be subject to paying a $1,000 fine. Why is this bill so important? The passage of this bill offers individuals who are forced into human trafficking a solution to their problems — an escape that could potentially save their lives. People enslaved might not know where to turn, and by broadcasting a number for people to call, they could have access to help. 

If Michigan passes this bill, it makes the statement that we are a state that views human trafficking with disdain, and we recognize the freedom the victims are owed. In addition, this will help prevent future cases of human trafficking and put an end to the rising number of enslaved persons. It is exciting that this number could decrease from a simple bill that only requires putting up flyers. Since the implementation of the bill is very simple and noninvasive, I see no reason why there would be opposition toward its passing.

The Trafficking in Persons Report “encourages states and local officials to adopt victim-centered policies,” and bill 4056 would do exactly that. In 2013, the Immigrating and Customs Enforcement and Homeland Security Investigators reported there were 1,025 new cases opened for investigation based on the possibility of sex trafficking. This statistic shows there were 131 new cases investigated compared to 2012, when there were only 894 cases. 

Two thousand five hundred and fifteen people represent the number of incidents reported of human trafficking between Jan. 2008, and June 2010. Hopefully, this bill could help put an end to these rising numbers. 

ADAM NEWBY

Freshman

Iron River