CMU senior faces felony charges for inappropriate relations with a minor

bosler

East Jordan senior Benjamin Bolser, 24, is charged with using a computer to commit a crime, a seven-year felony, as well as accosting a minor for immoral purposes, a four-year felony. (Courtesy/Boyne City Police Department)

A Central Michigan University student teacher is facing felony charges after allegedly sending sexually-charged messages to an underage pupil.

East Jordan senior Benjamin Bolser, 24, is charged with using a computer to commit a crime, a seven-year felony, as well as accosting a minor for immoral purposes, a four-year felony. While working as a student teacher at Boyne City High School, Bolser allegedly sent sexually explicit communications to an underage female student, according to a press release from the Boyne City Police Department.

A judge set Bolser's bond at $20,000 personal recognizance. Defendants released on their own recognizance can sign a written promise to appear in court as required. No bail has to be paid, however Bolser is not allowed to use a computer or to have any contact with minors without adult supervision. He also is not allowed to contact the victim.

FERPA prevents the university from disclosing information about Bolser's current status as a student. However Dale-Elizabeth Pehrsson, dean of the College of Education and Human Services, said in a statement that prospective teachers at CMU learn about appropriate behavior repeatedly throughout their educational experience. They study ethics starting in introduction to teaching, their first class of the major. Students are taught about boundaries in class, in groups and with their clinical supervisors.

“CMU is aware of the information that has been reported and the charges against a student. We express our deepest concern for the high school students and families involved, for the district and for the Boyne City community,” Pehrsson said. “If the allegations turn out to be true, this situation absolutely defies the highest professional ethics that we teach our students to uphold.”

A probable cause conference is scheduled for May 5, with a preliminary examination planned for May 12.

The Charlevoix County Prosecuting Attorney’s office declined to make any additional comments regarding the case.

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →