COLUMN: Davis is worth every penny

cm_mensbball_6
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Men's basketball head coach Keno Davis talks with his team during a timeout March 22, 2012 at McGuirk Arena. The Chippewas lost to the visiting Broncos 76-59.

The word “keno” is a word with French and Latin origins meaning “a set of five winning numbers.”

Central Michigan athletics essentially guaranteed a set of five winning records when they signed Head Coach Keno Davis to a five-year extension Thursday.

The Mid-American Conference was able to shed the University at Buffalo’s Bobby Hurley last week when the former Duke All-American departed for the Arizona State University head coaching position.

Hurley coached the Bulls to its first MAC Tournament Championship and NCAA Tournament berth in program history.

Bowling Green’s first year head coach, Chris Jans, was let go earlier this spring due to misconduct after contending for the MAC regular season title with the likes of CMU and Buffalo.

Yet Davis remains. And he’s ready to pounce.

He’s repeatedly claimed he wants to stay in Mount Pleasant. He’s happy here. And this contract is proof.

Davis was the MAC Coach of the Year this season, but still won’t be the highest paid coach in the conference even after the extension. Davis will earn $300,000 per year plus $100,000 a season for television, radio and promotional appearances.

Meanwhile, Ohio University Head Coach Saul Phillips is earning a base salary of $550,000 after leading the Bobcats to a 10-20 record this year. The University of Toledo, Akron University and Western Michigan University’s head coaches also have higher head coaching salaries than CMU’s giving Davis.

Perhaps the best part about the extension is the commitment shown by both Davis and CMU.

If either party wants to terminate the contract with three or more years left, they owe the other side a cool $1,000,000. The punishment for leaving decreases over time, but doesn’t disappear, even in the final year of the contract.

Just like WMU Football Coach P.J. Fleck, Davis is a talent worthy of a national powerhouse but is displaying loyalty with a long contract extension at a modest price.

Just as Chippewa fans hoped, Davis isn’t using CMU as a stepping stone, but a cornerstone.

CMU hit the lottery.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →