MPPD unveils new audio, camera recording devices for officer vehicles

metro

Mount Pleasant Police have are partnering with Central Michigan University law enforcement to store video and audio recordings from vehicles on patrol.

The partnership will allow the university's law enforcement agency to back up on-duty police recording in its data servers as a back up mechanism to data stored at the Mount Pleasant precinct. 

Mount Pleasant Police Capt. Robert Lauria presented information on the partnership and the department's recent recording upgrades at Monday's City Commission meeting.

City officials approved the upgrades and the partnership in March 2014. Police implemented the new equipment in November, including body microphones and dash cams that turn on automatically and stay on through the course of duty. 

The mechanisms are activated by specific triggers, such as turning on sirens or police lights, and will remain on until an officer turns them off intentionally. To ensure public accountability and officer, the recording devices will kick back on — even if an officer shuts it off — three seconds later if a trigger mechanism is still activated. 

"The cameras have definitely increased our officer safety," Lauria said. "It also puts a certain amount of accountability knowing that this camera is always watching. If an officer is having a bad day, knowing that you're being recorded with audio back up is a nice thing to have in the back of your mind. It keeps the tempers from flaring."

The purchase of the new cameras and audio recording devices cost the MPPD and CMUPD $54,000. Lauria said $39,366 of that amount came from the city's general fund. The remaining $14,834 came from grant allocated by the Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority. 

The MMRMA issues the grant through its Risk Avoidance Prevention program.

Since implementation, MPPD has received over 50 Freedom of Information Act Requests seeking video recordings from police cameras.

CMUPD already had the systems in place in its own fleet, and using their camera mounting systems helped MMPD control costs.

Streaming video data can also be accessed by both departments in real-time if need be. Lauria said the two agencies have signed an agreement that they will not access each other's information unless needed.

"We're not in charge of their department, so to look at their video without their knowledge or without their permission isn’t good practice to follow," he said.

Audio transmitters and recording devices are activated and ensured by the same triggers. The audio devices will continue to record audio even if the officer is 1,000 feet away from the patrol car's CPU.

Commissioner Jon Joslin raised concern that having the video stored in a site not run by the agency could post a data security issue or the potential for tampered evidence.

Lauria said storing the evidence with a trusted agency like CMUPD would help secure data.

Commissioner Rick Rautanen asked if the department was considering using body cameras in light of the national push for increased on-duty accountability.

Lauria told commissioners that he doesn't see a need to move to body cameras at present — overall, he trusts the new equipment upgrades, the caliber of his officers and the practices of the department.

Elaborating on his comments, Lauria told Central Michigan Life that public accountability is a top concern, even if that means keeping a skeptical eye on the day-to-day practices of all his officers.

"We do a random audit," Luria said. "You can look at any one of those triggers and see what initiated that event. We haven't had anyone try to tamper with it, and that speaks volumes to the expectations we have in place. 

"But if (something seems off), that's when I'll start asking question. I'm no relying on the public, but if my officers go out and don't think they're being recorded by them already, shame on the them. When something controversial happens, there's never a lack of video footage in today's day and age."

Lauria also believes the current body camera equipment on the market hasn't reach its peak potential, and is unable to fully interface with all of the available recording devices. When the technology catches up, he said he would be more willing to consider body cameras. 

About Ben Solis

Ben Solis is the Managing Editor of Central Michigan Life. He has served as a city and university ...

View Posts by Ben Solis →