Final suspect in armed robberies arrested

screen_shot_20150428_at_24927_pm

Devon Webb, a 24-year-old Detroit was arraigned Tuesday on three counts of armed robber, three counts of conspiracy to commit armed robbery, three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, three counts of first degree home invasion and three counts of felony firearm. Bond is set at $750,000.

A third and final suspect in connection with three armed robberies in Isabella County was arrested in Harper Woods Monday by the Michigan State Police Second District Fugitive Investigative Strike Team.

Devon Webb, a 24-year-old Detroit native, was arraigned Tuesday on three counts of armed robbery, three counts of conspiracy to commit armed robbery, three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, three counts of first degree home invasion and three counts of felony firearm. Bond is set at $750,000.

On April 5, Michigan State Police Officers began investigating at least three separate armed robberies that occurred between February and April of 2015. The victims were all CMU students and the robberies occurred during illegal drug transactions within the apartments.

Investigators identified Detroit sophomore William Jones, 19, as one of the individuals involved with the robberies. Jones was arrested April 9 at his room in Sweeney Hall.

Jones cooperated with investigators and identified Dewon Webb, 23, from Detroit as one of his co-conspirators. Jones also identified a third person, whose name is being withheld pending the issuance of arrest warrants.

Webb was arrested when Michigan State Police Emergency Support Team conducted simultaneous search warrants at Copper Beech Apartment Unit K2 and The Grove Apartments 4 p.m. Friday.

Webb cooperated investigators and identified a fourth person whose name is also being withheld pending the issuance of arrest warrants. Police said the individual is no longer being investigated.

MSP Lt. Gary Green said money and drugs were stolen from student drug dealers, who may face charges from the Isabella County Prosecutor's Office for selling narcotics. All four suspects are believed to have been working together to rob dealers.

"We're not involved with stuff like this too often, it's kind of rare," Green said. "The unique thing about this is that the robbers strategically picked people who deal with illegal narcotics with the hopes it wouldn't get reported. After being robbed twice, (one of the victims) decided it was worth it."

Some of the items recovered during the search warrant were items stolen during the armed robberies, according to police. Police are in possession of marijuana, mushrooms and molly, as well as pills and powder that have not been tested yet in connection to the case.

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →