Letter to the Editor: Say no to the Religious Freedom Act

opinion

TO THE EDITOR:

Many individuals have discussed this so called Religious “Freedom” Act so lightly. Most articles regarding the Religious Freedom Act speak so much about the rights of religious organizations that they fail to mention the rights of others. Religious freedom already exists in the Constitution, so this legislation is useless except for one aspect. The difference between this law and the legislation that is already in place is that this policy gives religious organizations the right to discriminate. It is such a shame that instead of equality, laws of discrimination are being drafted instead.

There has been nothing but progress made for the LGBTQ community, something that our nation should be very proud of. These Religious Freedom Acts that some states are passing and considering are counterproductive and will take us back to a world of discrimination much like the laws of Jim Crow. How is discriminating against someone of a different sexuality at all different from discriminating against someone of a different color? It’s not. I ask those who support the act another question: What if this policy was the opposite? Could a member of the LGBTQ community deny service to a member of a religious organization? I would assume that would be treasonous.

If we take a look at other states that have put this law into place we won’t see much other than negative impacts. For instance, Indiana is filled with uproar; businesses are fearful of losing costumers and residents. Signs are hung up all over Indiana that read “This Business Serves to Everyone,” petitioning Governor Pence’s decision. Following the legislation, the NCAA even petitioned to have the Final Four Championship moved out of Indianapolis, which would have caused Indianapolis to lose all the revenue from that event. Steve Rudner, the president of the Equality Texas Foundation, where the bill is being considered, is a father of twins and he holds a concern for his sons. 

He said, “They’re 16 and one of them came out when he was 11. The idea that if both of my boys were sick, that an EMT would have to pick up one of them but could refuse to pick up the other one is outrageous." If you have children, it is easy for you to understand the fear this father has of the unfair treatment this law will allow the public to give his son.

If Michigan were to adopt this policy it would be an embarrassment. It would give Michigan unwanted recognition, and the media would be plastered with petitions and court cases fighting this broad policy. Our state should learn from the mistakes of others, and disregard this act as a whole. Religious organizations are already given freedom to exercise, so we should change our focus of proposed legislation to something more essential. Today, more than half of the United States population supports gay rights, displaying how far the LGBTQ community has come. As Andrew Koppelman said, “The gay rights movement has won. It won’t be stopped by a few exemptions."

LINDSEY DAOUST

Freshman 

Alpena