Softball earns weekend sweep of Eastern Michigan

With a 7-4 victory on Sunday afternoon, Central Michigan University softball secured a two-game weekend series sweep of Eastern Michigan University at Margo Jonker Stadium.

The Chippewas are now 15-16 overall and 4-3 in Mid-American Conference play, winning seven of their last eight games.

With 16 games remaining, CMU is in fourth place in the MAC West Division.

Sunday

In a back and forth contest on Sunday, the Eagles scored the first run to go on top.

But CMU responded with an offensive explosion, and the Chippewas secured the series victory.

“(Sunday) was kind of an ugly game, we made a couple of defensive errors,” said Head Coach Margo Jonker. “We got the hits when we needed them.”

Senior shortstop Trista Cox drove in freshman leftfielder Lacy Tolfree after Tolfree reached on a leadoff walk. She proceeded to steal her 17th base of the season and advance to third base on a bobbled ball by EMU’s catcher.

Tolfree had another stolen base in the third inning after being hit by a pitch to lead off the inning. Her 18 steals on the season leads the team.

With the game deadlocked at one run apiece, freshman catcher Maison Kalina drove in fellow freshman centerfielder Sara Hansen from second base on double to centerfield.

Kalina was 2-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored in the home victory.

EMU tied the game at two in the top of the fourth inning on an error by senior shortstop Trista Cox, but CMU reclaimed the lead a half inning later with three runs scored on two hits and a walk.

Supplying some power for CMU was sophomore designated hitter Kristen Goodall. She added an important insurance run in the sixth inning with a solo home run to left field.

“It gave us a little bit of relief. You never know what’s going to happen in a one-run game,” Jonker said. “The wind was blowing out today so any ball that got up in the air could’ve gone out.”

In the circle for the Chippewas was freshman Hanna Warren. The Canton native pitched four and one third innings, giving up three earned runs on five hits.

With the win, Warren’s record in the circle improved to 4-7 this season.

Sophomore Rachael Knapp pitched in relief of Warren. She shut the Eagles’ bats down in two and a third innings pitched, with a walk and three strikeouts, earning her second save of the season.

“I certainly have a lot of confidence in (Knapp). I think the whole team does too,” Jonker said. “When she comes in, everybody feels like we’re in good shape.”

Saturday

Katelyn Rentschler’s three-run home run in the bottom of the seventh inning gave CMU's softball team a come-from-behind 5-2 win over EMU on Saturday afternoon.

Rentchler’s home run was her seventh of the season. The junior first baseman and Etiwanda, Cali. native currently leads the team in home runs. Rentschler’s batting average now sits at .325.

“ (Rentschler) looked really calm,” Jonker said. “She was in the right frame of mind and seemed confident and kept fouling some pitches off and got a pitch that she could handle.”

CMU trailed the Eagles by a score 1-0 for the majority of the game, in what was primarily a pitcher’s duel, after EMU plated a run on a single to center field in the first inning.

Jonker’s team was able to score its first runs of the game in the bottom of the sixth inning on junior second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure’s two-run home run to right field, tying the game at two in the process.

This game after senior shortstop Trista Cox reached base on an error by EMU’s center fielder.

“It was a great game for us in a lot of ways,” Jonker said. “We had a great crowd, great weather and then we had a victory. Put in all together and it was a great day for Chippewa softball.”

Sophomore Rachael Knapp threw her 12th complete-game of the season, earning the victory in the circle and improving to 10-6 on the season.

Knapp struck out eight batters on six hits while surrendering one earned run and walking two in the win. Her 10 wins in the circle leads CMU this season.

“I thought Knapp had good poise,” Jonker said. “(Eastern) didn’t really have that many hard hits off of her. Overall I thought she pitched a good game.”