Softball prepares for final weekend against Toledo, BGSU

main_softball

Sanford sophomore Kristen Goodall steps up to bat during the Chippewas softball game against Eastern Michigan on April 11 in the Margo Jonker Stadium. 

Entering the final weekend of the 2015 regular season, Central Michigan University softball is looking to solidify its seed for the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

After a 3-1 victory against non-conference opponent Michigan State University on Wednesday, the Chippewas are 23-19, and 10-6 in the MAC.

Northern Illinois and Western Michigan are also 10-6, which puts the three teams in a three-way tie for second place in the West Division and fourth overall in the MAC. The top eight seeds advance to next week’s MAC Tournament.

The focus now shifts to a set of four last games, all held at home from Margo Jonker Stadium.

CMU has a doubleheader against the University of Toledo Friday and games Saturday and Sunday against Bowling Green State University.

Both the Rockets, of the west division and the Falcons, of the east division have struggled for a majority of this season. Posting records of 18-26 (6-12 MAC) and 20-30 (5-13), the two teams have found themselves near the bottom of their respective divisions.

It will be the first time the Chippewas will take on UT and BGSU.

CMU’s bats have been producing more of an impact on games than they did earlier in the season.

As a team, the Chippewas are hitting .273, which puts them at the eighth spot in the conference, just a point behind Buffalo.

Senior shortstop Trista Cox is leading the way offensively, posting a .345 batting average, a .554 slugging percent, 27 RBIs and five home runs.

Junior first baseman Katelyn Rentschler has been just as productive as Cox. With a .336 average along with a team-leading 10 home runs and 32 RBIs, the Etiwanda, Calif. native has been a catalyst in CMU’s lineup all year long.

The youthful pitching staff, featuring sophomore Rachael Knapp and freshmen Hanna Warren and Taylor Weaver, has a 3.08 ERA with 24 complete games.

Knapp has appeared in 30 games this season, starting 20 of them and posting a 15-8 record with a 2.16 ERA. In 161.2 innings pitched she has struck out 170 total batters.

CMU Head Coach Margo Jonker has consistently preached a one-game-at-a-time approach to her team historically and this season has not been an exception.

When asked about the importance of her team’s final set of games, her response was short, simple and to the point: “Stay focused.”

The women will begin the doubleheader at 1 p.m. on Friday. Saturday’s game is at 2 p.m. and Sunday’s is at 1 p.m.