Softball splits Saturday doubleheader with Buffalo

St. Joseph sophomore Rachael Knapp pitches the ball during the Chippewas game against Buffalo on April 18 at the Margo Jonker Stadium.

A lack of hitting put a damper on the Central Michigan University softball team’s alumnae celebrations as the University at Buffalo Bulls spit Saturday’s doubleheader.

CMU started strong in game one, winning 5-3 behind Rachael Knapp’s complete game performance, but fell 4-2 in the second. The Chippewas recorded 15 hits during the two games and stranded six base runners.

“We didn’t play as well as I wanted us to play,” said head coach Margo Jonker. “I’m disappointed we didn’t perform as well as we could have for all the people who came to watch the game today who haven’t seen us in a long time.“

Senior shortstop Trista Cox batted 4-for-6 on the afternoon with one run scored and one run batted in. Senior Katelyn Rentschler tacked on two runs batted in off of two hits.

“Trista is one of our top hitters,” Jonker said. “I’m happy to see her coming through for us offensively.”

The Chippewas honored alumna Pam Stanley in the middle of the fifth inning during game one with a jersey number retirement ceremony. Her number four is the second to be enshrined on the outfield wall of Margo Jonker Stadium.

Game one:

CMU got off to a fast start by taking the lead in the bottom of the first inning. Junior first baseman Katelyn Rentschler lined a single into left field to score senior outfielder Kristen Kuhlman from third.

The Chippwas would add another run in the bottom of the second via freshman outfielder Sara Hansen. Hansen stole third base and scored on a throwing error from the Bulls.

CMU’s 2-0 lead was not safe for long as UB scored two runs off three hits in the top of the third inning.

A high-scoring fifth inning put the Chippewas ahead for good. Cox hit an RBI double to score freshman outfielder Lacy Tolfree to open the scoring. Rentschler and freshman catcher Maison Kalina would add a pair of one-out RBI doubles to extend the lead to 5-2 for CMU.

Knapp ran into trouble in the top of the seventh inning when Savanna Norcio doubled to left field scoring Alexis Curtiss, but she completed the game, giving up eight hits on the afternoon.

“Rachael was sick today,” Jonker said. “She had a few issues out there today, but I wasn’t sure if she was going to be able to pitch at all today. She sucked it up and did a good job.”

Game two:

The Chippewa bats were quick to take the lead once again in game two, scoring two runs off of three hits in the first inning.

Both team’s bats would go quiet for the next four innings with both teams combining for two hits between the second and fifth innings.

“We got ahead, but we just didn’t keep hitting,” Jonker said. "We’ve had that issue before this year. We need to not have it happen again.”

Freshman pitcher Hanna Warren struck out five batters in the opening five innings but got into trouble in the sixth.

The Bulls brought home four runs off five hits during the top of the sixth inning. Stephanie Beuther capped off the Bulls big inning with a two-run double to the gap in left center field.

Freshman pitcher Taylor Weaver replaced Warren in relief pitching one and a third scoreless innings.

“The bottom line is we didn’t score enough runs,” Jonker said. “(Today) is not about the pitching, we just didn’t score enough runs.”