Recap: Track and Field continues solid outdoor season with strong performances at Oakland, Bucknell

athletics

Members of the Central Michigan University track and field teams were in different locations this weekend but found the same success.

CMU took four distance runners to Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pa. Saturday to participate in the Bison Outdoor Classic. Three Chippewas earned spots in the Top 3 of their respective events. The rest of the team took part in the Oakland University Invitational and swept the competition on both sides.

Vs. Oakland

The men knocked off Valparaiso University 81-28, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne 81-8, Siena Heights University 81-0, the University of Detroit-Mercy 79-33 and Oakland Golden Grizzlies 69-67 at a scored dual-meet in Rochester.

Freshman Lorenzo Wells won the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.82 seconds, while teammates sophomore Malik Peacock, with a time of 10.97, and junior Tahshohn Reese with a time of 10.99, finished in second and third place, respectively.

Freshman Erick Huertas won the 200-meter dash at 22.25, while the Chippewas had Top 3 finishers in the 400-meter dash as sophomore Malik Vasquez (47.88), Huertas (48.18) and redshirt senior Clay Holman (48.68) led the charge.

Monte Scott took first in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with at time of 9:47.55. The 4x400-meter team of Vasquez and sophomores Ziemowit Dutkiewicz, Quincy Briggs, and Ja’Corey Lipsey edged out Oakland and Detroit with a time of 3:19.04.

In the men’s field events, junior Matt Mueller won the high jump at 2 meters, while sophomore Ryan Vincent took the pole vault at 4.42 meters. Junior Brandon McCleese placed first in the javelin throw with a toss of 55.44 meters to round out the first-place finishes on the men’s side.

The women also had a clean sweep of the competition. CMU downed IPFW 92-47, Oakland 78-74, Siena Heights 97-0, Valparaiso 96-22 and Detroit 90-43.

Freshman Tina Davis notched a victory in the 100-meter dash at 12.24, while senior Diamond Hamilton fell right behind her at 12.29 for a second-place finish.

The Chippewas had a pair of first-place finishes in the 400-meter and 800-meter dashes. Senior Ravyn Baxter won the 400 at 56.51, while sophomore Kelsey Ross edged out 10 runners to add another first-place finish for CMU in the 800 (2:14.82).

A pair of seniors took the top two spots in the 400-meter hurdles. Bridget Doughty had the first-place finish at 1:00.68, while Emma Fishnick was a few hundredths of a second behind her at 1:00.75.

The 4x100-meter relay team of Hamilton, Davis, junior Markala Goodson, and Baxter won their event with a time of 47.09.

CMU had a slew of athletes with first-place finishes in the field events. Freshman Rebekah Petty (3.53 meters) beat Tori VanDienpenbos (2.61) of IPFW in the pole vault.

Freshman Kayla Marshall won the long jump with a leap of 5.42 meters. Junior Shaya Wilkerson (11.92 meters) and Marshall (11.46) were the leading duo in the triple jump.

The women also had the top two finishers in the javelin throw with sophomore Kyleigh Young (36.87 meters) and freshman Wendy Szuminski (32.30 meters).

Vs. Bucknell

Matt Kaczor, associate head coach of CMU track and field, took a group of four distance runners to compete at Bucknell on Saturday, and their production seemed identical to their peers at Oakland.

Senior Ben Wynsma took second out of 35 competitors in the men’s 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:19.44.

Junior Kelly Schubert finished in third place in the women’s 3,000-meter event with a final time of 16:53.32.

Junior Nate Ghena beat out 28 other runners to win the men’s 5,000-meter event at 14:25.36. Freshman Joseph Emmanuel finished in 24th place at 15:03.20.

Up Next

CMU will travel to Terre Haute, Ind. to take part in the Gibson Invitational April 16-18 at Indiana State University.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →