Track and field teams head to Ohio State with Mid-American Conference Outdoor Championships two weeks away

p1j0015

Director of Track and Field Mark Guthrie speaks with members of the Central Michigan University track and field teams during the Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships at the Indoor Athletics Complex. (Photo Courtesy CMU Athletics)

The Central Michigan University track and field teams are heading to Ohio State University to get ready for the Mid-American Conference Outdoor Championships.

CMU will travel to Columbus, Ohio to take part in the Jesse Owens Invitational Friday and Saturday at OSU Friday’s action is set to start at 2 p.m., while Saturday is set to commence at 10 a.m.

Mark Guthrie, director of track and field, said the two-day meet will bring better weather for his team, which had its meet last weekend at Miami University cancelled due to lightning.

“It’s a good challenge for us,” Guthrie said. “It’s the right meet at the right time for us. The weather is going to be awesome. It’s a great final tune-up 14 days out of the conference meet. We’re going to put our kids in the events we believe we need to have them in. It’ll be a good meet and we’re happy to be a part of it.”

Last season, Guthrie only took 10 student athletes to the meet. This year, he is taking 50 to Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, which he calls a “great facility.”

“We were very selective last year,” Guthrie said. “We did very well. A good friend of mine is a part of the Ohio State track and field operations team. They liked what they saw and asked us to come back in more of a complete team manner.”

The competition the Chippewas will face will include three Big 10 Conference powerhouses. The University of Michigan, Michigan State University, and the host Buckeyes will compete. The Ohio State women’s team won the Big 10 indoor track and field championships this season.

“It’s going to be a good meet,” Guthrie said. “You’ve got to be on your game.”

Guthrie knows the meet this weekend will pose a challenge for his squad. He said he will take the Top 10 to 15 people on the MAC Honor Roll and will see what his team is capable of against tough competition.

“We are going to learn a lot about our team this weekend, individually and as a collective group,” Guthrie said. “Can they show up when the pressure’s on and everything is a bit better? The competition is a little better. Can we do it as a whole group?”

Guthrie also said that his team is “running out of season and opportunity” and that his seniors are “running out of career.” They will have a meet next weekend at Grand Valley State University, the last regular season meet of the year before the MAC Outdoor Championships May 14-16 at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind.

“You have no excuses now,” Guthrie said. “You’ve got to show up.”

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →