Softball falls to Ball State in extra innings, needs three wins Saturday to win MAC Tournament

2_soft

The Chippewas talk strategy on the mound March 28 against Ball Sate at Margo Jonker Stadium.

The road to regionals just got a lot tougher for No. 4 Central Michigan University softball.

The Chippewas erased a No. 2 Ball State University's 2-0 lead with runs in the fourth and sixth inning and put the potential game-winning runner on second with two outs in the bottom of the seventh, but couldn’t steal the win Friday.

With two outs in the top of the eight inning, BSU’s Selena Reyna was hit by a pitch from sophomore pitcher Rachael Knapp. Loren Cihlar’s double to deep left field scored Reyna, as the Cardinals went on to win 3-2.

Knapp pitched for the third day in a row Friday. After going seven innings both Wednesday and Thursday without allowing a run, Knapp took the loss Friday allowing three runs (two earned) on three hits and a walk through eight innings.

The St. Joseph native struck out seven batters. She threw 122 pitches Friday against Ball State and has thrown 325 pitches in the past three days.

Junior first baseman Katelyn Rentschler and junior second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure picked up the RBIs for CMU.

Even though the Chippewas outhit BSU 4-3, CMU’s two errors proved costly. Both came in the top of the third from senior third baseman Trista Cox, allowing an unearned run to cross the plate.

CMU still has a chance to win the MAC Tournament Saturday if they win back-to-back-to-back games.

The Chippewas play the winner of Friday’s Kent State-Western Michigan matchup Saturday at 10:30 a.m. The winner of that game must beat Ball State twice in two games Saturday afternoon to take the trophy.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →