Opening ceremony kicks off Special Olympics Summer Games

More than 5,000 athletes, volunteers, coaches and family members gathered Thursday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium to kick off the 2015 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games. Monica Bradburn | Staff Photographer

More than 2,600 Special Olympians marched into Kelly/Shorts Stadium today for the opening ceremony of the Special Olympics Summer Games.

Accompanied by nearly 1,000 chaperones and coaches, the athletes were met with high fives and cheers from volunteers and members of the community. 

Chief executive officer and president of Special Olympics Michigan Lois Arnold greeted the athletes.

"Look how far we've come," she said. "We have grown every year. You are no longer on the sidelines, you are now on the field."

Arnold also congratulated the volleyball team and power lifter that will compete in the World Games in Los Angeles on July 25. Ben Bednarz, a Canton resident and powerlifter and a Flint area volleyball team will represent Michigan during the World Games, competing with athletes from more than 170 countries across the globe. 

Athletes from nearly 30 areas of Michigan listened as master of ceremonies Juliet Dragos, a news anchor from WZZM 13 in Grand Rapids, thanked the primary sponsor of the Summer Games, SpartanNash. Dragos also had a surprise for the athletes, and pointed to the sky as a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter flew above the stadium, met with roaring cheers from the Special Olympians. 

"You earned it," Dragos said. "You worked hard. We are so excited to have you here."

As Dragos spoke, she was interrupted by the sounds of police sirens, signaling the arrival of the Flame of Hope, or the Special Olympics torch. Each year, the torch is carried in by law enforcement officers from across the state, with the help of Special Olympians. The Law Enforcement Torch Run is the largest grassroots fundraiser for SOMI.

As the torch was lit, the Summer Games officially kicked off.

"The flame represents the spirit of athletic competition," Dragos said. "It signals the official start of the summer games."

As the ceremony wrapped up, the speakers played a song that has become an annual tradition and athlete favorite: "Who Let the Dogs Out."

Keep up with the Special Olympics Summer Games with more coverage on cm-life.com.

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →