Cyclists pedal to victory at the 7th annual Le Tour de Mont Pleasant

Cycalists of the Women Category 1-2 Pro class race into Blanchard during the seventh annual Le Tour de Mont Pleasant Saturday morning.

Bicyclists from around the state pedaled to victory today in the Michigan State Championship Road Race, one of two races in the Le Tour de Mont Pleasant.

Le Tour de Mont Pleasant, a series of bicycling races, began Friday with a time trial race. The series of races continued Saturday with the Michigan State Championship Road Race starting at 9 a.m.

The first event, the Twilight Time Trial, started at 5 p.m. on Friday at the south end of Central Michigan University’s campus on the corner of Three Leaves Drive and Deerfield Road. The trial is about two miles.

Valerie Hyerman, a 28-year-old bicyclist from Traverse City, finished the time trial yesterday in first place. Hyerman has participated in Le Tour de Mont Pleasant for three years, and met her boyfriend at a race. 

"I came out here today because its a great race but also because there are so few bike races taking place in the state," Hyerman said. "Theres just been a lack in participation in bike races. I got involved in racing after I realized I had a niche for riding bikes."

The race’s co-director Bill Strickler said this year they hosted one less race than what they have in the past. This year they did not hold the race known as the "Downtown Criterium," and instead there was two races featured.

Following the race Friday was Saturday's Michigan State Championship Road Race, the main event of Le Tour de Mont Pleasant. In first place for the Men's CAT 1, biking a 109 mile race, was Nathan Williams, a 34-year-old from Grand Rapids.

"I won this race in 2010 and it felt just as good," Williams said. "I've raced in (Le Tour de Mont Pleasant) about 6 or 7 times."

To prep for the race Williams said his routine is a lot of riding, racing and resting. 

John Leach, a 48-year-old from Livonia, said he's been participating in Le Tour de Mount Pleasant for four years now. Leach said what interested him about this race is it used to be three races. 

"What was cool is they combined the times of all three races and an overall winner is chosen," Leach said. "This year, they cut the downtown criterium so I was a little disappointed because I won first overall last year so I was hoping to repeat that."

Leach is part of the Team Orthopedic Association of Michigan Now team, a group presented by Athletic Mentors. The team is comprised of athletes that compete in cycling, triathlon, running and Nordic skiing. 

Developmental Director for Team OAM, Terry Ritter, said several members from his team participated in the race today. The objective of Team OAM is to create a healthier community and develop young athletes in sports not typically offered in school. 

"What makes our team unique is that they're treated professionally when they compete," Ritter said. "I am just one of the coaches that is a part of Team OAM. My job is to not only get athletes into this sport but to make sure they meet their goals."