Seventh Annual Le Tour de Mont Pleasant to return this weekend

gc-letour65
Greg Cornwell/Staff Photographer Riders cruise down Mosher Street as part of the Downtown Criterium for Le Tour de Mont Pleasant.

Le Tour de Mont Pleasant, a series of bicycling races, will begin its seventh annual event this Friday night, and continue through Saturday afternoon.

The race’s co-director Bill Strickler said this year they will be hosting one less race than what they have in the past. This year they will not be holding the race known as the "Downtown Criterium," and instead there will be two races featured.

“In the past we have always had the biggest weekend in the state for road racing,” Strickler said. “This year with conflicts and downtown businesses, we decided not to have another race downtown. This is the first year we have only done two events. We are also the state champion event. The best riders in the state will be there.”

According to race co-director and founder, Lisa Hadden, the event is consistent with Mount Pleasant’s initiative for a biker-friendly community.

“We really feel that more and more people are getting into cycling,” Hadden said. “Our goal is to bring attention to bicycling safety and safety education in our county for both our bicyclists and our motorists.”

The first event, the Twilight Time Trial, starts at 5 p.m. on Friday at the south end of Central Michigan University’s campus on the corner of Three Leaves Drive and Deerfield Road. The trial is about two miles, and is expected to have 50 to 100 riders participating.

“A time trial is just an individual race where racers go every minute,” Hadden said. “They’ll ride the course and whoever has the best score wins.”

The main events on Saturday start at 9 a.m. with the Michigan State Championship Road Race, which starts at Mid Michigan Community College on the corner of Summerton Road and Broadway.

“We will have from beginners, to amateurs, to professional riders,” Strickler said. “They ride different distances.”

All the racers will be protected by a motorcade that will be following them with a lead car and a follow car. As they move through the county there will be a rolling closure.

“They go by but it only takes them a few minutes to take them to go by an intersection. The only road that will be closed Saturday is Summerton Road,” Hadden said.

On Friday, no cars will be permitted to drive on Denison Drive from 4 p.m.-9 p.m.

Last year there were 732 riders registered, but many of the registered took part in multiple events. Both Hadden and Strickler said they expected a similar turnout from the previous year.

In addition to the main race on Saturday, the annual kid’s race for ages 12 and under will take place at noon at Island Park.

Volunteers are still welcome to assist at the event. Information can be found at www.tourdemontpleasant.com/volunteer