Warinner Hall will be opened later this week

university

Warriner Hall will reopen later this week after air and dust tests showed most of the asbestos risk has been removed.

A portion of the building is still being cleared by contractors.

The university announced air and dust tests performed over the weekend have come back clear with the exception of the first floor lobby outside of the auditorium, the duct under Plachta Auditorium and a portion of the tunnels.

In a press release sent Monday, Barrie Wilkes, Vice President of Finance and Administrative Services, said the university is working with Fibertec, a Holt environmental consulting firm, which did the testing.

"We brought in outside contractors to do air samples and surface swiping for a better idea of what we need to do to make sure the building is safe," Wilkes said. "I am optimistic that the building will be open by the end of the week."

Damaged asbestos was removed from air ducts by HBC, an asbestos abatement contractor. Jon Kujat, manager of Office of Risk Management and Environment Safety, said the firm is cleaning the auditorium and lobby so new tests can be conducted.

The university's Office of Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety was informed Friday about the elevated asbestos levels. The 169 employees who work there were told to vacate the building due to health concerns.

Employees have been temporarily reassigned to other locations or are working from home. 

According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral fiber. It was used in building materials and vehicle products for its strength and ability to resist heat and corrosion before its dangerous health effects were discovered.

University officials believe the insulation and pipes likely came from a pre-1975 renovation or construction project.

Asbestos can be found in ceiling tiles, pipe insulation, around windows and in other parts of homes and commercial buildings.

If documents need to be delivered or face-to-face business is needed a university press release said to refer to the list of locations below.

• Payroll/Travel, Accounting Services, Payable Accounting, Purchasing, and Student Account Services and University Billing are located in the lower level Woldt Computer Lab.
  • Admissions and Scholarships and Financial Aid are on the 4th floor of the library. Check in with the library information desk for additional directions.
  • Undergraduate academic services and the Registrar’s Office are in Ronan. Check in with the career services reception area for additional directions.