City Commission discusses solid waste program during work session

metro

The City Commission discussed ordinance changes to encourage recycling during their work session June 8. 

The commission discussed implementing a pilot program to test out the changes in three different areas of the city. 

Commissioner Matthew Sous said students play a large role in the program.

"Recycling does not work without the students," he said. 

Along with recycling, the program works to address trash carts left at curbs, the structure of bag and tag fees and allowing non-residential occupants to utilize the bag and tag as an option. 

To implement the program, a 2004 Solid Waste Ordinance will need to be amended, as a page of the ordinance was lost. It had to do with overflowing trash carts and leaving carts at curbs for longer than a certain period of time. City Manager Nancy Ridley said though the city would hear many complaints about overflowing trash and carts lining the streets, they could not take action because of the missing page.

Areas the commission discussed were in between Bellows to High streets, Broadway to Pickard streets and the train tracks to Fancher Street. The commissioners agreed it would be easier to install the pilot program in all three areas, avoiding confusing in implementing it in just one of the areas. 

To implement the increased recycling effort, Director of Public Works John Zang said the city will give recycling bins to rooming houses, fraternity and sorority houses and multi-family homes. If the bins are lots, replacement bins are sold at city hall or the DPW building for $6. One recycling bin is required for every six residents. 

The commission also discussed charging more for track pick up, which they think will provide more incentive to recycle. 

"It should be the more trash you create, the more you pay," said Mayor Jim Holton.

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →