Art Walk Central to infuse August with art

vgz_streetpainting02_web
Victoria Zegler/Staff Photographer Connecticut residents Jason and Rebecca Mack play with chalk after watching street painter Lee Jones give tips and suggestions on how to use the pastels on cement during the Sidewalk Chalking Workshop Tuesday evening outside the Art Reach of Mid Michigan, 11 E. Broadway St. "This is our first time street painting," Rebecca said. "I think the hardest thing is trying not to chip the chalk."

Art Walk Central is a month-long art-infused series of events that will take place throughout August. 

Attendees will be able to choose from a wide range of activities, including chalk art, watching an art battle or painting the streets downtown. 

Beginning July 30, an art battle will take place at 6 p.m. in front of Art Reach downtown. Painters will create an entire piece in two hours during the battle. At 7 p.m., Max & Emily's will host the second concert in their summer concert series, featuring Channing & Quinn, a duo based out of Nashville. The two play guitar, ukulele, accordian, drums, glockenspiel and banjo for an indie folk/pop sound. The concert will take place in front of Max & Emily's and close that section of Broadway Street. 

On July 31, Art Reach will host a "Glow in the Art" 5K starting at 10 p.m. Runners will race through downtown parks and streets in glow gear. Pre-registration is still open at $25. Those who pre-register will receive a "swag bag" filled with glow-in-the-dark accessories and a t-shirt. Registration the day of costs $30. Also on July 31 is painting the intersection of Main and Broadway streets, starting at 10:30 p.m.

Voting for people's choice begins Aug. 1. More than $20,000 in prizes will be given to the winners of several different awards during Art Walk. Movies by Moonlight will begin at 8:30 p.m. with a showing of "Cinderella" outside City Hall. 

Kids and adults will have the opportunity to learn how to create chalk art during the Chalk Art Workshop, hosted by Andrea Hofmeister at 6 p.m. Aug. 4. Those who would like to participate can reserve a square of downtown sidewalk for $30. Online registration is available on Art Reach's website.  The chalk art event and judging will take place at 9 a.m. Aug. 6 through Aug. 8.

On Aug. 6, there will be a poetry slam with participants including students from Central Michigan University registered student organization Word Hammer. 

For events happening later in August, visit Art Reach's website for times and places.

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →