City to host Community Service Day

metro

Mount Pleasant Parks & Recreation will host the 13th annual Community Service Day beginning at noon July 21 at Island Park.

The department will be collecting non-perishable foods during the event, and after the event at their office in City Hall. All donated goods will be given to United Way for distribution to multiple food banks. The program was started by Partners Empowering All Kids, which has a community service week team. This is one of the ways they chose to give back to the community.

Office professional for the Parks & Recreation Department Lisa Way said this year's event has expanded to reach more of the community by having part of the collection at the park.

"Each school (in Mount Pleasant) gets grocery bags donated by Ric's," she said. "The kids will go to houses in their neighborhoods and leave the bags with a note explaining the event. On Monday, the bags get picked up." 

Non-perishable food items can include canned fruits and vegetables, tuna fish, peanut butter, pasta sauce and pasta. The department is also accepting toiletries, including shampoo, soap, toothpaste, tissue, toilet paper and diapers. Cleaning supplies will also be accepted, including laundry detergent, bleach and trash bags.

"This year we are working with United Way, and they're plugged into the food banks, so they helped put together the things they need," Way said. 

During food collection, attendees will be able to climb a rock wall or take on an inflatable obstacle course. Face painting, yard games and food will also be offered, including Dog Central and Sno-Cones.

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →