​Chippewas describe emotion-filled offseason during MAC Football Media Day

screen_shot_20150729_at_44848_pm

Senior wide receiver Jesse Kroll tweeted out pictures July 15 from The ESPY's in Los Angeles, Calif.

DETROIT -- The Central Michigan University football team hasn’t played a game in more than seven months, but the offseason has been anything but dull.

First-year Head Coach John Bonamego learned he had cancer in his left tonsil. Defensive back Derrick Nash passed away from his battle with Leukemia. Senior cornerback Brandon Greer was arrested and dismissed from the team for attempted kidnapping.

And on the positive end, the team’s Hail Mary miracle in the Bahamas Bowl advanced to the final round of voting in the ESPY’s Best Play category.

“I think our team’s done a great job of staying focused on our offseason training program,” said senior offensive lineman Nick Beamish. “I don’t think we’ve really lost much of a step. I think we’ve really ignored most of the noise.”

Bonamego’s fight

After receiving treatment Wednesday morning in Ann Arbor, Bonamego showed up at Ford Field for Mid-American Conference Media Day, even though he wasn’t expected to attend. Cameras and reporters surrounded him for about an hour.

“He just went through treatment this morning and he’s already over here answering questions,” Beamish said. “The commitment he’s shown, the fight, they’re motivation for us.”

Junior quarterback Cooper Rush said Bonamego has been an encouragement to the team, even though he’s only been in charge for five months.

“Knowing what he’s going through puts (everything) in perspective,” Rush said. “It feels like he’s been around for awhile. That’s the type of guy he is.”

First-year defensive coordinator Greg Colby said Bonamego hasn’t missed much time in the office, despite having daily radiation and chemotherapy treatment.

“He has to go down for treatment every day and he misses half a day of work,” Colby said. “But he comes in and gets almost a full day’s worth of work in every day. He’s probably more ticked off about having to go do (treatment) than anything.”

#NashStrong

After a two-year bout with Leukemia, Nash passed away June 22 at the age of 20.

“Losing Derrick was a big blow not just to our football family, but to the entire CMU community,” Bonamego said. “There are a lot of lessons to be learned in how Derrick rose to the challenge and the adversity that he faced and the fight that he had. I’m proud to have known him. I’m proud to know his family. He won’t be forgotten. He’s still part of our team and will always be part of our team.”

Beamish said Nash’s drive will continue to motivate the team, even after his passing.

“The motivation he’s shown us, the fight he’s shown us is something we’ll never forget,” Beamish said. “He’s definitely one of the biggest motivators on the entire team.”

Greer’s dismissal

After recording 47 tackles, three interceptions and forcing a fumble in 2014, cornerback Brandon Greer seemed poised to be a leader in the Chippewa secondary in 2015. Instead, he’s been dismissed from the team after being charged with assault and attempted abduction.

He played in all 38 games for the Chippewas over the past three seasons.

“We took the action that we felt was necessary because of the severity of the charges,” Bonamego said. “We certainly would never turn our back on him; we wish him the best.”

Bonamego said the team has players who can step up in Greer’s absence.

“You’re going to lose players throughout the course of the year for a variety of reasons,” Bonamego said. “You certainly never expect to lose a player under those circumstances. One player’s absence means there’s an opportunity for another player to step in. This one unfortunately is because of a very poor decision.”

The ESPY’s Experience

The five players that touched the ball on the final play of the 2014 Popeyes Bahamas Bowl were together again for ESPN’s ESPY awards July 15 in Los Angeles.

Rush, Titus Davis, Jesse Kroll, Courtney Williams and Deon Butler represented the Chippewas on the red carpet, though the play fell short in the final vote to Odell Beckham Jr.’s one-handed catch for the New York Giants.

“It was an awesome time,” Rush said. “A once-in-a-lifetime experience. We were just trying to soak in every minute of it, seeing all the stars and actors. It was just an unbelievable trip.”

The Chippewas met athletes like Peyton Manning and Alex Morgan and were treated to VIP Status at the Ritz Carlton/JW Marriott right next to the Staples Center.

The roller coaster of an offseason will officially end Aug. 6, when players report for preseason camp. The season begins at 7 p.m. on Sept. 3 against Oklahoma State at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →