Honoring identity: Saginaw Chippewa Tribe hosts national Pow wow

Marlene Syrette dances for her ancestors.

"I dance for people who cannot dance," she said.

Syrette attended the 31st Saginaw Chippewa Tribal Pow wow July 24 at the Tribal Campgrounds. Dancers from across the country attended to compete in different divisions. Pow wows are the Native American people's way of meeting together to dance, sing and visit. They are a method to renew Native American culture and preserve the heritage of American Indians.

Syrette, who traveled from Ontario, Canada, competed in the women's traditional dance.

"It's more of a graceful dance," she said. "The judges watch to see if you have a good start, if you maintain the beat and if you stop on time--they all look for different things. Every community and Pow wow is different."

Dancers could compete in several divisions, including men's fancy, traditional and grass, and women's fancy, traditional and jingle dress dance. Angel Jackson, chairperson for the Pow wow committee, said this year's event hosted veterans and champion dancers, who usually compete around the country.

"This is something Native American people do all the time, from when they are little," she said. 

This year's theme was "Honoring the Water." 

"We brought in a woman from Ontario, the Water Lady, who told us a story about water and why it is important to the Anishinaabe."

In traditional Anishinaabe communities, women took care of the water. Without water, all of creation could not exist. They believed water is a sacred gift, as people depend on it for drinking, medicines, travel and food.

For Syrette, dancing is a spiritual experience. Competing since she was 16, she said dancing gives her a connection to the drums and the earth.

"For me, the sound of the drum, the song, my feet touching the ground--it's a spiritual thing," she said. "It is a way to celebrate my culture and identity."

The Pow wow will continue until July 26. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →