Alumnus Zev Lawson Edwards writes debut novel, ‘The New Punk’

edwards_provided_headshot

CMU alumnus Zev Edwards Lawson. His book is available now on Amazon.

Zev Lawson Edwards said when he decided to write his debut novel, “The New Punk,” he wanted to base it on the idea that there are youth with great talent, but poverty “keeps that hidden, so sometimes they go to crime rather than using their talent.”

“I wanted to create a world in Detroit where all these orphans are abandoned by society,” Edwards said. “They kind of make their own world and they use their talents in their own way, and they take care of themselves.”

The Johannesburg native studied secondary education with a double major in history and social studies at Central Michigan University. Edwards said he had the idea for his novel in his head and came up with the characters while “the story just kind of wrote itself.”

Following his 2006 graduation from CMU, Edwards spent time traveling and teaching English abroad in South Korea, Australia and Saudi Arabia.

“It is the first time I did not write about myself or my experiences,” Edwards said. “This is the first book where I kind of wanted to create a new world.”

Edwards said his advice for anyone who wants to eventually write a book is to surround yourself with good people through networking with peers and mentors, and ultimately to just “stick with it.”

“If you are going to be a writer, just write everyday and read as much as possible,” Edwards said. “Getting the editor is probably the most important thing. You need someone who is not a friend or family member to look at your book objectively as a reader.”

Edwards had one editor on his book, Helena Mariposa. Although she edited his book with him, Edwards has yet to meet her in person. He originally reached out to several editors, but he felt like he had a very good connection with specifically Mariposa.

“She did a really awesome job,” Edwards said. “We spent probably six to seven months doing rewrites and the editing process together over emails.”

Mariposa, based out of Denver, Colorado, enjoyed working with Edwards. He worked independently to incorporate feedback she sent him, accomplishing what is difficult for many authors, she said.

“He has written a story riddled with humor while creating iconic characters,” Mariposa said. “His characters will remain with readers long after they have finished ‘The New Punk.'”

Mariposa was impressed by Edwards’ writing versatility and believes he has a future in writing.

“His range as a writer is impressive,” Mariposa said. “The distance from “The New Punk” to an earlier work is startling.”

Edwards said the reactions from his book have been positive so far. Some readers told him they can easily picture it as a movie.

“It has mostly been adults that have read the book so far,” Edwards said. “I am curious as to how middle school and high school students will relate to it.”

Edwards is selling “The New Punk” through Amazon, as well as in person to schools, libraries and other businesses.

“Ideally I would like to get picked up by a big publisher and then have them promote it,” Edwards said. “The big plan is to be a full time writer, but it is just kind of getting there.”

“The New Punk,” is 414 pages and can be purchased for $14 through Edwards’ website, www.zevlawsonedwards.com.

“I just hope it puts a smile on (a reader’s) face,” Edwards said. “I had a lot of fun writing it, so I just want people to enjoy it.”