10-in-10: A position-by-position breakdown of the Central Michigan football team

footballwmupreview
Sophomore quarterback Cooper Rush passes the ball off to freshman running back Devon Spalding during the Chippewas

Here is the final installment of Central Michigan Life's position-by-position breakdown of the 2015 Central Michigan University football team. Below is a full preview of CMU's depth chart leading up to the Chippewas' 2015 season opener at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 3 against Oklahoma State.

Day 10------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: Running back

2014 Standout: Senior Thomas Rawls (210 carries, 1,103 yards rushing, 10 TD)

2015 Projected Starter: Junior Martez Walker

What to expect:

This is where the biggest competition for a starting job on CMU’s offense lies. Junior Martez Walker has been sharing first-team reps in camp, while transfer Jahray Hayes has warranted attention from Bonamego and his staff. 

Sophomore Devon Spalding came on strong during the last few games of 2014, and could potentially have a big impact on CMU's offense this year as well. 

The obvious loss of leading rusher and current Seattle Seahawk Thomas Rawls looms, and the Chippewas still have viable options at tailback. 

As with most teams in the Mid-American Conference, CMU will need to split the workload between two different rushers, preferably with varying approaches to getting the ball in the end zone.

Day 9--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: Cornerback

2014 standout: Senior Jason Wilson (51 tackles, two interceptions, seven pass break-ups)

2015 projected starter: Sophomore Josh Cox or Senior Stefon Armstead, Sophomore Amari Coleman

What to expect:

This is the biggest area of unknown for the CMU football team. Losing Wilson to graduation, and No. 2 corner Brandon Greer to arrest has left the unit seeking leadership and consistency. 

Cox, Armstead and Coleman will need to learn quickly and adjust to full-game speed while guarding the top receivers on the Michigan State, Oklahoma State and Syracuse rosters. These young corners will need major support from CMU safeties if they are going to contain the opposing passing attack.  

Day 8--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: Safety

2014 Standout: Junior Tony Annese (74 tackles, three interceptions, 10 pass break-ups)

2015 Projected starters: Senior safety Tony Annese, senior safety Kavon Frazier

What to expect:

Second only to the Chippewas’ defensive line, this is the most experienced position group on the defending side of the ball. Both Annese and Frazier have proven they can be counted on to defend against a deep and sustained passing attack as well as bust through the line of scrimmage on a run blitz.

Defensive backs coordinator Archie Collins has spent the last three seasons molding Annese and Frazier to be leaders of the secondary and provide an support to the Chippewas’ last line of defense before the end zone. 

Day 7------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: Offensive line

2014 Standout: Senior Andy Phillips, Junior Nick Beamish

2015 Projected starters: Senior Nick Beamish, Senior Ramadan Ahmeti, Sophomore Austin Doan, Senior Kenny Rogers, Sophomore Derek Edwards

What to expect:

Producing outstanding linemen like Eric Fisher and Andy Phillips, CMU has warranted the self-proclaimed title “O-Line U.” This year’s bunch should be no exception. Whoever emerges as the Chippewas’ best option at tailback will be running behind a sturdy and athletic offensive line. Ahmeti has proven one of the best downfield blockers in the Mid-American Conference, while Beamish has rarely misplayed a snap during his career. It will need to be more of the same from a group that will face a few of college football’s best defensive units during the 2015 season.

Day 6------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: Special Teams

2014 Standout: Freshman Amari Coleman (21 kick returns, 466 yards)

2015 Projected starters: Kicker Brian Eavey, Punter Ron Coluzzi

What to expect:

Under former Detroit Lions special teams coordinator John Bonamego, the Chippewas should have a solid approach to winning the field-position battle this fall. Coluzzi has shown he can pin opposing offenses back deep in their own red zone and Eavey has made major strides toward nailing field goals from longer and longer ranges. On kick return, speedy Amari Coleman could be the guy to help Rush and the CMU offense on occasion as well.

Day 5--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: Wide receiver

2014 Standout: Senior Titus Davis (60 catches, 980 yards, 13 TD)

2015 Projected starters: Senior Jesse Kroll, Junior Anthony Rice

What to expect:

CMU’s top receiver is a personal friend of quarterback Cooper Rush. Kroll and Cooper hooked up 36 times for 582 yards and four touchdowns last season. While the loss of all-time CMU touchdown catch leader Titus Davis is a major loss, Kroll, Corey Willis and junior Anthony Rice will have one of the best quarterbacks in the MAC throwing to them.

Kroll is likely to face a fair amount of double-coverage from opposing secondaries, creating opportunities for Rice, Willis and tight end Ben McCord to have space on the field to make a big play.

This position group will be key to CMU’s overall success in 2015.

Day 4--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: Linebacker

2014 Standout: Senior Justin Cherocci (117 tackles, eight for a loss)

2015 Projected starters: Senior Tim Hamilton, Redshirt Freshman Malik Fountain, Junior Nathan Ricketts

What to expect:

Losing an All-MAC selection like Cherocci won’t make things any easier, but CMU’s linebacking corps remains with a solid chance to succeed this season. Hamilton, Fountain and Jadon Cook might find themselves playing a little bit more pass protection than blitzing due to CMU’s thin defensive backfield. How the linebackers respond to this change will could be a determining factor.

Defending the run shouldn't be an issue, considering the Chippewas dominating presence at the line of scrimmage. Under new defensive coordinator Greg Colby, the CMU linebackers will need to communicate not just with each other, but with members of CMU's young secondary in order to keep pace with the high-profile offenses of teams like Oklahoma State and Michigan State.

Day 3--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: Tight End

2014 Standout: Junior Ben McCord (10 catches, 124 yards receiving, three TD)

2015 Projected starter: Senior Ben McCord

What to expect:

Under former Head Coach Dan Enos, McCord’s abilities were never truly showcased. During his junior season, McCord caught 10 passes for 124 yards and three touchdowns in 13 games. He was rarely targeted and his 6-foot-4, 240-pound frame didn’t translate into major results on the field. Another big body for Rush to target off the line of scrimmage will be sophomore Zach Crouch who could have a breakout season this fall.

Outside of senior wide receiver Jesse Kroll, there hasn't been an undisputed No. 2 offensive vertical threat on this year's team. Out of the I-formation and during a play-action pass, expect Rush to check down to McCord's unit in an attempt to gain a first down instead of going for the big play.

Moving the ball will be a work in progress all season long, and the CMU tight ends could be a big part of that effort.

Day 2------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: Defensive line

2014 Standout: Senior Leterrius Walton (33 tackles, two sacks)

2015 Projected starters: Defensive end Senior Blake Serpa, Junior Defensive end Joe Ostman, Senior nosetackle Shafer Johnson, Defensive linemanJunior Jabari Dean

What to expect:

The Chippewas had the Mid‑American Conference’s best defense last season, statistically speaking. Up front, it should be more of the same for a unit loaded with experience and strength.

Serpa has had an entire offseason to get healthy and Ostman is regarded by his teammates as pound-for-pound the strongest member of the team. These two should create major headaches for opposing quarterbacks at Kelly/Shorts Stadium this fall.

Up the middle, Dean and Johnson weigh a combined 615 pounds, providing plenty of push at the line of scrimmage. With Serpa and Ostman containing the edges, Dean and Johnson will attempt to collapse the pocket on quarterbacks like Drew Hare (Northern Illinois) and Zach Terrell (Western Michigan).

If they can stay healthy, this is the strongest subset of the Chippewas' team this season.

Day 1 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: Quarterback

2014 Standout: Sophomore Cooper Rush (243-for-382, 3,157 passing yards, 27 touchdowns)

2015 Projected starter: Junior Cooper Rush

What to expect:

Rush has spent the past two seasons gaining the respect of his teammates and coaches and has assumed full control of the Chippewas offense. As Offensive Coordinator Morris Watts put it, Rush is CMU’s starter “and it’s not even close.”

Waiting in the wings and learning CMU’s offense under Rush will be junior Ryan Lamb, who looked impressive during reps with the first-team offense during practice last week. Dual-threat passer and true freshman Jake Johnson brings another approach to the backfield and has had a good camp, according to his coaches.

While Rush is a standard pocket passer, both Lamb and Johnson are quarterbacks who have the ability to tuck the ball and run effectively. Under Bonamego, the Chippewa offense may slowly be transitioning into a more up-tempo style that favors such speed. Rush still has plenty of weapons to throw to down the field, so for now, CMU will rely on a pocket passer to get the job done.

Below is a complete CMU football two-deep depth chart:

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →