Three reasons for optimism and three reasons for pessimism for the 2015 CMU football season

md7

Senior wide receiver Anthony Rice makes a catch in practice Aug. 21 at CMU Football Media Day.

With days left until kickoff, fans still don’t have a very clear idea of what this year’s Central Michigan University football team could be capable of. The high-profile offseason is finished and fall camp is wrapping up.

The Chippewas open the season at 7 p.m. on Thursday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium against Oklahoma State. Here are three reasons to be excited and three reasons to cover your eyes when the CMU football team takes the field.

Reasons to be Optimistic

1. Count on Cooper

Junior quarterback Cooper Rush had his most public offseason yet following his impressive performance in the Bahamas Bowl to end his sophomore year (Seven touchdowns and about a billion yards passing).

Rush enters 2015 confident he can lead the Chippewas into several key games this year, well aware the Chippewas will be heavy underdogs in many games. If leadership and confidence becomes something the team is looking for at any point this season, they will know exactly where to find it.

2. An iron curtain

The CMU defensive line is loaded with talent and experience. Regardless of what happens behind them in the secondary, on paper this unit appears to be CMU’s strongest. Led by upperclassmen Blake Serpa and Joe Ostman, the D-Line should create major headaches for opposing offensive playmakers all season long. New defensive coordinator Greg Colby will likely be counting on this group to do its job and then some in order for his schemes to fall into place.

3. An intangible offseason

Oftentimes in sports, underdogs are inspired to do things critics say they can’t because of a deep connection to personal pride or a team identity. The death of teammate Derrick Nash after lengthy battle with cancer and then first-year Head Coach John Bonamego’s bout with a less severe diagnosis of cancer has provided a spark to this team’s motivation, regardless of physical skill or raw talent. Sometimes it takes luck to win football games. And believing you can make someone important to you proud and playing for a purpose higher than winning can put a team in a place to prove the pundits wrong.

Reasons to be pessimistic

1. Cornerback Controversy

We know CMU is thin and inexperienced at cornerback. What fans don’t know is how well young players like Amari Coleman and Stefon Armstead will respond to guarding the Mid-American Conference’s best receivers. If these players don’t get help in the secondary on deep passing routes, it could be a long season for Colby and the CMU pass protection unit.

2. Out manned out wide

Jesse Kroll will be CMU’s No. 1 wide receiver this fall, but it remains unclear who will provide him support and take pressure of Rush and the CMU pass-blocking unit. Tight end Ben McCord might provide a safety valve for Rush on occasion, but to score like they did last year, the Chippewas will need another deep threat to get open consistently.

3. We’ve gotta play who?!

CMU’s schedule is brutal this year. Especially to start the season. Facing Oklahoma State, Syracuse and Michigan State in a span of four weeks is about as close as you can get to murder’s row for a MAC team. Not to mention two of those games are in opposing stadiums and one of them requires a trip of more than 600 miles.

Once the conference schedule starts, things don’t get any easier. Opening the MAC slate against preseason favorite Northern Illinois and Western Michigan will be early tests for a likely to be banged up and perhaps discouraged Chippewa team. Staying healthy and staying positive will be important if CMU wants to finish the year with a record better than .500.

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →