Bonamego to students: "If you're not wearing your maroon and gold, you're really not with us"

Head Coach John Bonamego walks the sidelines in his first game as head coach of the Central Michigan University football team. The Chippewas would lose to Oklahoma State 24-13.

Head football coach John Bonamego doesn't appreciate seeing students wearing another team's colors on the campus of Central Michigan University. 

The Chippewas' first-year coach and CMU alum said after practice Wednesday he expects to see a larger CMU presence on Saturday in East Lansing when his team takes on No. 2 Michigan State.   

"If you're not wearing your maroon and gold, you're really not with us," Bonamego said. "That goes for everyone on campus, too. It kind of irks me. I haven't seen it that much but I've heard about it. We are Central Michigan. If I was working at Michigan State or Michigan I would feel the same way. I just feel like you should be loyal to your school." 

While he understands there are many die-hard CMU fans planning on attending this weekend, he hopes each student that makes the trip will be wearing maroon and gold and not green and white. 

"It's a very, very small minority," he said. "I just don't like seeing it." 

The Chippewas and Spartans face off at noon on Saturday in East Lansing. 

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →