COLUMN: See something, say something

opinion

We made it through the first week.

After a hectic start to the academic year, we can all take a break to catch our collective breath over the labor day weekend.

I wanted to take a moment to thank you, our audience, for making this week such a worthwhile experience. This is a time of transition for student media across the nation. We made it our goal at Central Michigan Life to lead the charge in adapting to match the demands changing reader habits.

Allow me to share some of the highlights.

Welcome Weekend coverage produced several stories. Students' reaction to increased police presence and a behind-the-scenes look at a typical night for CMUPD officers provided a forum for some interesting, if not heated, discussions among students and residents.

Our multimedia team put out a series of fun and engaging videos, asking Registered Student Organizations at Mainstage to make an  elevator pitch to students and another challenging upperclassmen to give freshmen advice in five words or less.

The Sports Desk rolled out  exclusive online content leading you up to football's season-opener against Oklahoma State, including a day-by-day breakdown of each position on the roster. At the same time, they were preparing to release the annual football special publication for this print edition.

Almost 9,000 students saw our  tweet on the first day of classes, a GIF of Billy Madison getting us all ready to go back to school. That's nearly half of the on-campus student body.

Our first week of experimentation has yielded some encouraging feedback, but we need to hear from you. We want to inform, entertain and engage with both our print and online audiences, so what you think is very important to us.

You have the power to have your story in the newspaper.

Let me know what you think at editor@cm-life.com or give me a call at (989) 774-4338. Visit our office in Moore Hall 436 and let me know what you did or didn't like. Keep commenting on our Facebook posts and replying to our tweets.

Better yet, come join the  Central Michigan Life family.

This is the best place on campus for communications majors to take the next step in their career. We will be recruiting heavily and plan to hold an open meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 14 for students to meet our editors and learn more about us.

See you there.

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →