Plachta Auditorium to reopen Monday

abestos

Plachta Auditorium is closed for asbestos abatement. 

Plachta Auditorium received a clean bill of health on Sept.16 after being closed for asbestos abatement since May 29.

Vice President of Facilities Management Steve Lawrence said he estimates the abatement to cost around $450,000.

Workers found elevated levels of asbestos in the air while working on waterlines. They noticed insulation and old pipes in an air duct in the building's crawl space. This closed the entirety of Warriner Hall until June, when the offices reopened.

Plachta was the biggest project during the abatement, as workers struggled to reach the high ceilings to abate air ducts. The auditorium was sealed off and has a separate duct system, so the asbestos level did not affect the air in other parts of the building, which is occupied by 169 workers. 

Workers identify places where there is asbestos before they plan a new campus project so they know not to disturb it. When remodeling, they correct asbestos issues as part of the project. The area found in Warriner was one that wouldn't normally be accessed, and got into the air supply before workers were able to contain it. 

Asbestos was a popular building material during the 50s, but was banned in 1999 after health concerns were raised. Warriner Hall was finished in 1928. Asbestos can be found in ceiling tiles, pipe insulation, around windows and other parts of homes and commercial buildings. 

Symptoms of asbestos exposure show up mostly in the respiratory tract, and can include chest pain, a persistent cough and loss of appetite. If a long exposure occurs, it can lead to mesothelioma or lung cancer. However, some types of asbestos can cause lesser or different symptoms. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →