EDITORIAL: Let's talk, not argue

Stronger communication needed for residents, students to coexist

editorial

Code enforcement officer Jeff Pickler tells a group of students about his expectations in the M-2 district during one of the city’s neighborhood walkarounds. Pickler will enforce this district until a new officer is hired.

This summer, city commissioners took action to address common complaints made by residents who share neighborhoods with students north of campus.

They did so while most of Central Michigan University's student population left Mount Pleasant, demonstrating a lack of communication that has fostered contempt between the residents and students for decades.

Communication between city officials, residents and CMU students needs to improve if we are all to coexist peacefully.

During those meetings, the city commission approved several changes that will directly affect students – including hiring an additional code enforcement officer to police a student-populated zone known as the M-2 district.

Decisions were reached during a time of the year when few students were able participate in public discussions at open meetings. This is unfair to students who have the right to a forum to represent themselves.

Democracy only works when the people are allowed be a part of the decision-making process. Public input on the summer decisions was mostly solicited from residents, often those whose only interactions with students had been negative.

There have been channels of communication in the past, but meaningful discussion between the two groups has been rare.

City officials created a student liaison committee in the 90s, but slowly the idea died, leaving the city without an effective way to communicate with CMU’s off-campus population. It is encouraging to hear city commissioners are working to have the group meet more frequently.

Additionally, city and university staff walk through student neighborhoods at the beginning of the academic year and before Finals Week to inform them of city ordinances and expectations. 

We are happy to see an effort to create open dialogue beginning between students, residents, law enforcement and the university, but it is not enough.

As the city creates opportunities for students to make their voices heard, the responsibility falls on us to take it. If students want the city's perception of us to change, we need to meet them halfway.

For some residents, their only contact with students has been destructive partying. On the other side, residents are often seen as cold, unfriendly and prone to calling the police on students who are just trying to blow off some steam.

This conversation has frequently played out on Central Michigan Life's Facebook page, where commenters fiercely argued over the necessity of increased police presence on Welcome Weekend.

We urge residents not to take stereotypes of students at face value. We urge students not to encourage negative perceptions by being good neighbors.

Take advantage of volunteer opportunities and participate in governmental decisions by attending city commission meetings when changes may impact you. Take your concerns about the recent code enforcement changes and increasing police presence to City Hall where it counts 

We all want to enjoy this city. Students and residents need to work together to make it a place worth living in.