Field hockey struggles in first conference game of the season, falls to 0-8

2105828_field_hockey_kc
Kaiti Chritz | Photo Editor Maude Stalars drives the ball down field at the Chippewa field hockey opener Friday, August 28. The University of Delaware beat the Chippewas 10-3.

After a rough start through nonconference play, the Central Michigan field hockey team traveled to Longwood in Farmville, Virginia to play the Lancers in CMU's first Mid-American Conference game of the season.

Longwood would outscore the Chippewas 5-2, putting CMU at 0-8 overall and 0-1 in the MAC.

During the first half, LWU scored first within the first 3 minutes via Edel Nyland and assisted by Hollie MacDonald. Two minutes later, Jennier Burris scored from the top of the arc to make it 2-0.

Later in the first half, junior Maude Stalars scored for the Chippewas assisted by midfielder Olivia Wagner and Kianne Hinkle, although Longwood would respond with a goal of its own.

With a few minutes left of the first half, senior Kaysie Gregory scored for CMU, bringing the Chippewas within one goal at halftime.

But Longwood would expand its lead within the first 30 seconds of the second half. Longwood would score one more and shut the Chippewas out in the second half to earn the victory.

CMU comes home for a six-game homestand, starting at 3 p.m. Thursday against Pacific.