Coordinating chaos

New defensive coordinator makes subtle changes to 2014 top MAC defense

bonamego_2015_coaches

Head Coach John Bonamego (center), Offensive Coordinator Morris Watts (left) and defensive coordinator Greg Colby (right). Samantha Madar | Staff Photographer

In 2014, the defense for Central Michigan University wreaked havoc in the Mid-American Conference, leading the conference by allowing just 355.5 yards per game.

In 2015, they’ll aim to do the same, but this time under a new leader.

Greg Colby is taking over the defensive coordinator position this season, replacing Joe Tumpkin, who left to become a safeties coach at Colorado.

“The kids have a great approach to the game that’s carried over from last year,” Colby said. “There’s a reason they were first in the league in defense overall. And it shows on the field. That part’s kind of exciting for me as a coordinator.”

He previously coached the defensive line at Illinois from 2013-2014 before being let go after the Illini ranked last against the run in both seasons. Illinois allowed 239.2 rushing yards per game and 456.4 total yards per game in 2014, the worst in the conference.

There will be minor changes under Colby, who’s also been the defensive coordinator at Kent State and Northwestern.

Senior defensive end Blake Serpa said the changes from last year to this year will be difficult to see for the casual observer.

“Last year we ran the 4-2-5, this year we have an extra linebacker in there,” Serpa said. “For the (defensive) line, we’re doing the same things as we used to, mainly we’re just calling people different positions.”

The team will transition from a 4-2-5 look to a 4-3 look, meaning a linebacker will take the place of a cornerback.

The 4-2-5 scheme will still be used, occasionally, however.

“We match their personal groups,” Colby said. “If they’re going to have four wide outs, we’re going to be in 4-2-5, if they’ve got two tight ends in the game, we’re going to be in 4-3. We’re going to match their beef with our beef or their skill with our skill.”

Colby said stopping the running game is the top priority. Only Toledo allowed fewer than CMU’s 122.9 rushing yards per game in 2014.

“In my experience in the past, when you get that bigger extra linebacker when they’re running the ball and they’ve got two backs and they’re pounding the ball down the field, you’re better off when you can cover up more (offensive) linemen,” Colby said.

Putting nine defenders “in the box” up near the line of scrimmage will be common for the Chippewas in 2015.

“That puts our corners on a little bit of an island at times,” Colby said. “But you’ve got to stop the run first, and that’s what we’re designed to do.”

Junior safety Tony Annese will be one of those safeties sent on blitzes. While he has a less experienced cornerback group to work with, he said his role hasn’t changed much.

“For me, I’m still playing the same position. I’m comfortable,” Annese said. “I don’t think there’s really too much of a difference.”

Colby said he was drawn to CMU because of Head Coach John Bonamego, even though they had never directly met before.

“I think they’ve adjusted (to Colby) really well,” Bonamego said. “I think our defense is on its way to being very stout this year. I think our front will probably be as good as anybody in our conference. I just see that group as being tenacious and salty.”

In terms of adjusting to Mount Pleasant, Colby said he’s enjoyed it so far, although most of his time has been spent in his apartment or on the field. He’s still in the transition period, as his wife is still in Illinois waiting for their house to sell.

“I’m used to (moving),” Colby said. “We’ve done it like 10 times, so I’m used to it. I’m excited to be here. It’s been great so far.”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →