How rough is 1-3?

A look at CMU's nonconference opponents

Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Chippewa defensive backs Tony Annese and Kavon Frazier halt a Oklahoma State running-back at Kelly/Shorts Stadium Sept 3. The Chippewas lost to the Cowboys, 24-13.

A 1-3 start isn’t ideal for Central Michigan football, but a look into the opponents that caused the losses should give Chippewa fans encouragement heading into the Mid-American Conference schedule.

No. 20 Oklahoma State (4-0)

The Cowboys weren’t ranked when they played the Chippewas in the opening week, but have moved up to No. 20 in the country thanks to a 4-0 record.

Quarterback Cooper Rush and the Chippewas had a brief lead over OSU in the third quarter before falling 24-13 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

The Texas Longhorns are the only other team to have held a lead over OSU this season, before they fell to the Cowboys 30-27 last Saturday. Oklahoma State beat Central Arkansas 32-8 and Texas-San Antonio 69-14 in its other two games.

Monmouth (1-3)

CMU’s only victory in the nonconference schedule was a 31-10 win over FCS opponent Monmouth.

The Hawks’ only victory this season was a 31-16 win over Wagner. They opened the season with a 27-19 loss to Holy Cross and lost 54-31 to Fordham last weekend.

Syracuse (3-1)

Syracuse is the only team that’s beaten CMU that isn’t undefeated.

The Orange beat Rhode Island 47-0 and Wake Forest 30-17 before taking down the Chippewas. The No. 8 LSU Tigers handed Syracuse a 34-24 loss last Saturday at the Carrier Dome.

The Chippewas’ last-minute touchdown forced overtime against the Orange Sept. 19, but settled for a field goal and gave up the game-winning score in the extra period.

No. 2 Michigan State (4-0)

CMU entered the fourth quarter last Saturday down seven points before ultimately falling to the Spartans 30-10. The Chippewas outgained MSU, but so did Air Force and Oregon earlier in the season.

MSU did outgain Western Michigan in its season opening 37-24 victory.

The Spartans remain in the two spot in the national rankings, although their 31-28 win over No. 7 Oregon looks much less impressive after Oregon lost 62-20 to Utah and fell out of the Top 25.

The only ranked opponents left on MSU’s schedule is No. 22 Michigan on Oct. 17 and No. 1 Ohio State on Nov. 21.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →