An uncertain fate

Despite key losses and daunting schedule, football players say they can hang with the competition

dsc_0405

At the football stadium, on April 25th, players hustle on the field for the next play.

With unique storylines embedded in the undercurrent of its fall journey and program expectations that have grown exponentially during the last decade, the Central Michigan University football team is preparing for the start of a crucial season.

The intrigue of a first-year head coach diagnosed with cancer has gained the program national attention, yet major losses at key skill positions make on-field success appear less than likely.

This year’s team features a mix of seasoned veterans leading former benchwarmers, any of which could be called upon to perform against elite opponents. These previously unsung heroes will gain valuable experience and perhaps make the difference in the Chippewas’ season.

CMU finished the regular season 6-6 last year and earned an invitation to the inaugural Popeyes Bahamas Bowl, which it lost despite scoring the most improbable touchdown of the bowl season during the final moments of the game.

During the Chippewas' 2014 finale, quarterback Cooper Rush threw an NCAA bowl-game record seven touchdown passes and punctuated his rise to the position of undisputed team leader both on and off the field.

"I've always held myself to high expectations," Rush said. "We do that as a team, too. It's been a pretty normal summer. People have been working hard this offseason."

Most notably, the Chippewas have lost senior offensive weapons wide receiver Titus Davis and running back Thomas Rawls. Both men helped earn the team key victories en route to last year’s bowl game.

To make matters more trying, fall camp opened with the announcement that senior running back Saylor Lavallii would miss the entire season due to lingering concussion issues.

Possible CMU starting running back candidates include sophomore Devon Spalding, junior Martez Walker and sophomore Trevor Thomas. Walker was listed as the team’s starter on the initial two-deep depth chart.

“(Lavallii has been) lost on the playing field but his presence is still here,” Bonamego said. “We’re still counting on his leadership, he brings a lot of that. He’ll be a player-coach. He’ll help set the standard.”

Whoever Rush hands the ball to will run behind CMU’s offensive line, which has also graduated more than one dominating presence at the line of scrimmage.

With lineman and former captain Andy Phillips gone to the NFL, senior center Nick Beamish is considered the leader of the unit this season.

“My leadership is going to be important to (the rest of the offensive line). The way I lead and show them how to play the game is going to be very important to their development,” Beamish said. “We are going to protect Cooper. He’s shown the last few years what he can do with it.”

While Rush and Beamish elected to keep the details of a new CMU offensive scheme largely private, both players said Bonamego plans to push the pace of play.

During the first few days of fall practice, Bonamego was impressed with how well the Chippewas had taken to the new-found hurry-up style approach they call “NASCAR.”

The CMU coaching staff hopes this scheme will create urgency and keep the Chippewas on their toes in the later stages of closely contested games.

"I liked the back-and-forth,” Bonamego said. “The defense looked good at times, the offense was able to move the ball, too. Practice is one thing, but anytime you can create competitiveness and game-like situations, it makes players think beyond the x's and o's.”

Keeping opposing offenses off the field will be important for CMU, which will have little room for error against the daunting passing attacks of Oklahoma State and Michigan State.

“We are a Division I school just like those guys are,” Spalding said. “We've all improved a lot since spring ball. I have the utmost confidence in our entire group."

Leading defenders Justin Cherocci, Leterrius Walton and Cody Lopez have all left the team, while the Chippewas' already thin defensive secondary took a hit when standout cornerback Brandon Greer was dismissed from the team following his arrest in July.

Safeties Kavon Frazier and Tony Annese will attempt to fill the void left by Greer’s dismissal, while CMU’s defensive line sets its sights on disrupting opposing quarterbacks.

Fans should expect to see defensive ends Blake Serpa (once he returns from injuring his hamstring) and Joe Ostman do most of the heavy lifting on the defensive line and linebackers Tim Hamilton and Malik Fountain rack up most of the tackles for the Chippewas’ defense.

“The young guys have been really coming along. We’ve just been pushing each other trying to get better,” Hamilton said. “Cherocci is one of my best friends. (Filling his shoes) motivates me.”

The Chippewas see some of the premier opponents on this year’s schedule as an opportunity rather than a negative premonition.

“It’s definitely going to be a tough schedule,” Hamilton said. “But we’re going to start on the right foot against Oklahoma State. We expect a packed stadium here, so we are going to put on a show.

“We’ll be ready.”

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →