Get Acquainted welcomes students, offers diversity

2015_902_getacquainted_ar15
Abbie Robinson | Staff Photographer Central Michigan University students and Officer Laura Rico dance to music at the Get Acquainted Day event held in Warriner Mall on Sept. 2.

For 37 consecutive years, Central Michigan University has been hosting its Get Acquainted Day event as a means of helping new students get familiar with the campus organizations and departments.

“It started within the multicultural academic students services, and it has been growing more and more each year,” said D’wayne Jenkins, the multicultural director. “It’s a great way to get connected, to find out what’s here in the Mount Pleasant community, and all the different departments and organizations CMU has to offer.”

The Get Acquainted event held a variety of booths to expose students to the many opportunities they have to get involved on campus. Jenkins talked about how it gives students a quick overview of what the campus has to offer without being overwhelming.

Livonia sophomore Bellal Ammar enjoyed being introduced to the diversity available on campus through the help of the event. 

“It’s great because it opened my eyes to all the cultural organizations we have,” Ammar said. “I was afraid there wasn’t any when I first came to CMU as an Arabic student.” 

He explained that one of his favorite parts about the event was its diversity. 

“I like that the multicultural sororities and fraternities are out here, showing people that they have a strong presence on campus," Ammar said.

“It’s not as huge as mainstage,” Jenkins explained. “It’s a little more compact so it’s easier to talk to organizations and departments. It gives a more intimate feel.”

Marilynn Rison, a production company director, talked to students about her organization.

“Praisedust Productions is a relatively new production company that I just expanded from a writing service,” Rison said. I have roles that are open, and I thought it would be a good idea for me to come out and share this with students that might be interested in sharing their talents and gifts in a very exciting and intriguing way.”

Praisedust Productions is a company that produces stage, screen, and script products, she said.

Detroit freshman Ajune Whitley said the event was informative. 

“I wanted to try out for the dance team Rampage, but I had forgotten what day tryouts were,” Whitley said. “I got the chance to talk to them, and they let me know.”

To get an overview of what was happening on campus, Grand Rapids freshman Troy Guinn had the opportunity to talk to several organizations and departments during the event.

“I didn’t know what I was walking into until I was going to class and I saw the set up,” Guinn said. “I thought I was going to be nervous but everyone seems to be really friendly here. They want to give you information.”

Guinn said the counseling and study abroad department booths were very informative.

Jenkins also noted one of his favorite parts about the Get Acquainted event is being able to see students come out and participate.

“I always really love to see the students engage,” Jenkins said. “I like to see the new faces in the school and in the community.”