MSU police stresses tailgate, stadium regulations

img_0011_copy

CMU students and visitors and gather for a CMU tailgate on Sept. 12, 2015.

Students making the 70-mile journey to Michigan State University for this weekend's football game will need to comply with the Spartans' rules on tailgating and stadium behavior. 

MSU Police's special events unit will be policing the tailgate and the game, and students can expect police presence when pre-game partying. 

Behavior at MSU can come back to haunt students at Central Michigan University through the Office of Student Conduct. Those who are involved in criminal cases will be referred to Director of Student Conduct Tom Idema, and punishment action can happen through the university and through Lansing courts. 

"As a student, the Code of Conduct follows you wherever you go," Idema said. "Students need to be aware of that. Information has been shared between schools about expectations for this weekend. We hope students go down there and have a great time, but represent CMU well when they're there, so they can come back in a safe fashion." 

Many students plan to venture to MSU to tailgate and attend the game. Haslett senior Maddie Heilman said she attended the CMU vs. MSU game in 2009 as a freshman, and called the atmosphere "crazy."

"I have a lot of friends that go to State because I'm from that area," she said. "The people at State were nice, though." 

Heilman said she plans to stay with friends throughout the weekend, and wear CMU gear the whole time. 

Illinois junior David Dowejko said he's also going to wear CMU clothing to represent his school. He's been to games at MSU before, and said it's a much bigger event than at CMU.

"It's a Big 10 atmosphere; there's more hype behind it," he said. "Since we beat them (at State) last time, there's definitely a rivalry. They don't want to lose again." 

Though Dowejko doesn't have a ticket yet, they are still available, but according to MSU's ticket portal, seating is low or unavailable in all parts of the stadium. Tickets for around either end zone or for the uppermost decks behind CMU's bench cost $50. Mid-deck seats on CMU's side cost $100, or $80 for a seat off to the side of the bench.

Tailgate

The rules of tailgate at MSU slightly differ from CMU's. 

MSUPD Lt. Sean Mills said there tends to be an increase in tickets and arrests when many students come to MSU from other schools.

"People tend to want to come back to all the friends they know here and want to have a good time," he said. "We will have a few additional (officers) this weekend." 

At CMU, students are only allowed to tailgate three hours before the game. At MSU, tailgate for this weekend's noon game can begin at 7 a.m., but students are encouraged not to come before that time as lining up cars is not permitted. Attendees are invited to tailgate in all public parking areas on campus. 

Cars cannot be parked on grass north of the Red Cedar River and are restricted south of that because compacting the soil in this area causes danger to nearby trees. Munn Field, the alcohol-free area closest to the stadium, is available for parking at $20. However, this area is primarily a family-oriented space. 

Red Cedar Road will be closed from Shaw Lane to Chesnut Road as it is during all MSU home games. Parking is available in lots north and south of the railroad tracks for $20, or $10 on Service Road, including the south side. 

A shuttle bus service is available from Lot 89, on the corner of Mount Hope Road and Farm Lane. The shuttle starts two hours prior to kickoff and returns for a duration of time after the game. The bus costs $5 and parking in Lot 89 is free. 

During tailgate, no couches or upholstered furniture can be present. MSU does not allow kegs or drinking games like beer pong, similar to CMU. Cars are not allowed to trail any type of vehicle, including pig roasters on wheels. Oversized trucks must park in RV parking, which is in Lot 92 on Service Road. Parking there is available for $30. 

Those attending are expected to pick up after themselves. Spartan Stadium gives out green and white trash bags for free, which can be put in trash bins set out for tailgaters. Tents larger than 10 by 10 feet are not permitted. 

No open containers are allowed in campus buildings or in public areas around them, except for the parking lots. Public areas immediately adjacent to Spartan Stadium are alcohol-free. Open containers are not permitted in East Lansing, even on game day. 

Inside Spartan Stadium

After a 2011 investigation by the Department of Homeland Security, no bags or purses of any kind or size are allowed in Spartan Stadium. This is the same for binocular, camera and radio cases. 

"It's more secure, and it gets you into the stadium faster," Mills said. "We do not have a place to store people's bags at the stadium." 

While cell phones are permitted, selfie sticks are not allowed. Students can bring cameras, blankets and rain apparel, but umbrellas are not permitted. Food, drinks and alcohol cannot be brought inside, aside from one factory-sealed 20 oz. water bottle per person. 

Weapons of any kind are not allowed in Spartan Stadium. Police encourage students to text the word "MSUPD" along with a message to 274637 if attendees witness a crime or suspicious behavior. Texts sent to this account will be anonymously delivered to the police department. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →