Low ticket sales move Nick Swardson performance to Plachta Auditorium

screen_shot_20150821_at_94430_am

Comedian and actor Nick Swardson will perform on Sept. 25. 

For the second year in a row, Central Michigan University Program Board is changing up its fall concert due to low ticket sales. Program Board announced Nick Swardson and Ashley Barnhill will perform tonight in Plachta Auditorium instead of McGuirk Arena.

"The event has been moved due to low ticket sales," said Kaylee Bloom, president of Program Board. "We are moving forward and picking the best location for our show. We moved forward toward (picking Plachta) as people will enjoy it much more for the seating locations."

Bloom could not give an approximation as to how many tickets have been sold at this time. 

Students and public who have purchased tickets will be seated by general admission, based on their original ticket location. Customers with general admission floor tickets will sit from row A to row M. Lower level tickets will sit from row N to row T and upper bowl tickets will sit from row U to row X in the lower level of Plachta Auditorium or row AA to row EE in the balcony.

General admission bleachers will sit in the auditorium balcony from row GG to row TT.

"It’s a positive for Program Board, moving the venue space," Bloom said. "We’re going to be able to create a much more fun and enjoyable experience for people in attendance and the performers. It is not in any way a failure."

Last year, lack of student interest for the fall Ludacris concert forced Program Board to give away tickets for free. 

Bloom said although low ticket sales were a factor into changing location for Swardson, the original plan was to have him perform at Plachta all along. 

"One thing that Damon (Brown) and I were talking about earlier this year was that we would have had Swardson in Plachta (Auditorium) this year if not for the asbestos," Bloom said. "We had to go through with McGuirk (Arena) due to planning. We were fortunate that this option came (back) up even if it was a bit last minute."

Plachta Auditorium re-opened on Sept. 21 after a $450,000 asbestos abatement.

McGuirk Arena can fit 5,300 occupants while Plachta can fit a maximum of 1,226. 

Program Board booked comedian Nick Swardson instead of a fall concert. He is also an actor, playing in starring and supporting roles in "Just Go With It," "Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star" and "Reno 911." Swardson had plans to perform at CMU in 2011, but the show was cancelled because of a contract deal with Comedy Central.

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →