Spring sports teams to begin fall season

Junior third baseman Joe Houlihan bats for the Chippewas during Central Michigan University's baseball game against Bowling Green State University on April 25 at Theunissen Stadium. 

Three of Central Michigan University’s spring sports teams will be in action over the weekend as the fall portion of their 2015-2016 schedule kicks off.

Golf

CMU’s women’s golf team will travel south to Michigan State University this weekend for the 32nd annual Mary Fossum Invitational, at Forest Akers in East Lansing.

The invitational begins with shotgun starts Saturday at 9 a.m. and Sunday at 8:30 a.m. at Forest Akers’ West Course, where par is 72.

Last year’s field of 14 teams mixed Mid-American and Big Ten conferences in addition to Houston, East Tennessee State and Notre Dame, which won the invitational in 2014.

Live scoring will be available at www.BirdieFire.com. 

Baseball

CMU baseball will take the field Friday at Theunissen Stadium for an exhibition game against the Ontario Blue Jays, an amateur baseball team in the Canadian Premier Baseball League.

The exhibition is set to begin at 3:05 p.m. and is open to the public.

Softball

After last year’s 27-23 record, CMU softball will begin the 2015-2016 campaign Saturday in Canton.

The Chippewas will play a doubleheader beginning at 3 p.m. against Northwood University and at 5 p.m. against The University of Detroit.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →