Volleyball can’t complete comeback against Cleveland State

volleyball_web
Greg Cornwell/Staff Photographer The Central Michigan University volleyball team held a team scrimmage Saturday afternoon at McGuirk Arena.

A back-and-forth set that included eight ties went against the Chippewas, as did the match Friday night in Cleveland, Ohio.

The Central Michigan University volleyball team fell in the third and fourth sets and could not command the match in a 3-1 loss to Cleveland State.

The match was its first of three this weekend as part of the Cleveland State Invite.

The Chippewas (1-3) dropped set one 25-15 before coming back to take set two 25-20. They fell in set three 25-22 and set four 25-23 to take the loss.

Offensively, the Chippewas were led by sophomore outside hitter Jordan Bueter, who finished with 11 kills. Redshirt sophomore outside hitters Taylor Robertson and Jessica Meichtry added 10 each.

Freshman libero Jamison Wolffis recorded 19 digs, while Bueter added nine. Junior setter Kathia Sanchez tossed 19 assists, while freshman setter Marissa Grant tallied 11 to help out her counterpart.

The Chippewas had an attacking percentage of 57% in their set two win and 58% in set three. CMU out-blocked the Vikings 11-9.

In set one, the Vikings grabbed an early 3-0 lead before jumping on a 7-2 run. After leading the Chippewas 17-11, Cleveland State went on an 8-4 run to close out the set. Robertson had four kills in the set to lead CMU.

After a 3-3 tie in set two, the Chippewas took a 9-4 advantage after a Meichtry kill and five Viking attack errors. Cleveland State came back to tie the Chippewas at 21 before CMU pulled away. Meichtry had five kills in the set, while Bueter recorded three of the last four CMU kills.

CMU had a 4-2 advantage in set three but it would be their only lead of the set. The Chippewas trailed 22-21 when the Vikings’ Christina Toth would tally one of her career-high 18 kills. Bueter and Meichtry led CMU in the set with three kills each.

The Chippewas came close in the final set and tied eight times in the final frame. After a 23-23 tie, Toth recorded the final two kills to seal the Vikings’ win. Bueter and senior middle blocker Kalle Mulford each had four kills for CMU.

The Chippewas look to regroup with a matchup against Cincinnati at 10 a.m. on Saturday in their second match of the Cleveland State Invite followed by Binghamton to round out the weekend at 4:30 p.m.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →