Chase Run shooting trial to begin Nov. 16

img_1682_copy

Lake resident Mary Bigford listens to testimony on Sept. 28 at the Isabella County Courthouse. 

A Lake woman accused of shooting and killing a man she suspected was sexually molesting her granddaughter was bound over to circuit court after a preliminary examination today.

Bigford, 52, is accused of shooting and killing Fenton resident Lawrence Howard in April at Chase Run Apartments. 

The trial will begin Nov. 16. 

After hearing all the preliminary exam testimony, Judge Eric Janes ruled probable cause that Mary Bigford murdered her grandchildren's father. 

"There is probable cause that the defendant caused the death of Lawrence Howard," Janes said. "There is probable cause that the killing was premeditated and done without lawful reason." 

Janes also ruled probable cause that Bigford was in possession of a firearm, and in possession of a firearm while committing a felony. 

During the conclusion of the preliminary examination, Bigford's sister, Pamela Farris, was called to the witness stand. Isabella County Prosecutor Risa Hunt-Scully questioned the nature of her relationship with Bigford. 

Farris described that relationship as a good, loving, sisterly one. She also confessed that Bigford opened up to her about the alleged sexual abuse of Bigford's four-year-old granddaughter and Howard's daughter. 

"I did find out that people reported the sexual abuse," Farris said. 

Hunt-Scully brought up a victim impact report, written by Farris, that detailed a past violent assault by Bigford and her son, Justin. In the report, Farris said Bigford and Justin waited at her house for more than three hours with the intention of assaulting her when she got home. Farris wrote that she felt scared and traumatized after the physical assault by her sister and nephew. 

"We've had our problems as sisters, yes," Farris told the prosecutor. 

Minutes before, Farris told the court that Bigford is a kind, compassionate and loving person. 

During further questioning, Farris said she never asked Bigford if she murdered Howard. After Bigford was incarcerated, police went to Farris' home to question her. During this time, phone records showed Farris was on the phone with Letitia Bigford, who shared the child with Howard. Farris declined to give information to the police, and Hunt-Scully insinuated it was because Letitia told her not to. 

"There was nothing I didn't want to tell (the police)," Farris said to the court. "It was just my right (to decline an interview). I didn't have any information that would help the police."

Hunt-Scully disagreed, citing other phone records that showed Bigford was on the phone with her sister for 49 minutes the day before the murder. The sisters also had a 30 second phone conversation a half hour after the shooting was reported. Farris said she doesn't recall any of these conversations. 

The prosecutor also read text message records exchanged between Bigford and Farris. On the morning of the murder, Farris texted Bigford, "What time is he supposed to be there to get her?" 

On the day of the shooting, Howard was scheduled for a weekend visit with his daughter. Farris said she didn't recall the meaning of that text.

During cross examination, Bigford's defense attorney, Sara Spencer-Noggle, asked about Farris' reaction to learning her sister was a murder suspect.

"My reaction to finding out Mary was being accused of murder is I collapsed in the street and pissed myself," Farris said. 

After she was dismissed, Farris mouthed "I love you" to her sister on the way out of the courtroom. 

About Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith is a super-senior at Central Michigan University. She comes from metro Detroit ...

View Posts by Sydney Smith →