Notebook: Chippewas "taking it to a new level" ahead of showdown with Western Michigan

12087721_10150576465164975_8050016835592735612_o

Senior linebacker Tim Hamilton

Don't expect to see John Bonamego smiling much this week.

The Chippewas' first-year head coach and Central Michigan football alum is approaching this weekend's matchup with Western Michigan (1-3) with an intensified focus and unsatisfied desire for success.

Here is what is happening with the team this week:

Spalding out, Ostman probable

Sophomore running back Devon Spalding received surgery Tuesday morning on his fractured clavicle, which he injured in Saturday's 29-19 victory over defending Mid-American Conference Champion Northern Illinois. 

Spalding remains out indefinitely, while junior college transfer Jahray Hayes is expected to get the majority of CMU's carries this weekend with Jay Roberson and Martez Walker providing depth.

"Hayes has shown flashes of what his ability is throughout camp," Bonamego said. "We're pleased with the progress he is making. There is a lot to know in our offense. He performed well last week. He'll just continue to get better and better."

Junior defensive end Joe Ostman has missed the last three games with a severe ankle sprain, but practiced Tuesday and has been making steady progress toward returning to action. 

Bonamego said it is possible Ostman could play against WMU this weekend.

Chippewas sense intensity in Bonamego 

Bonamego said Central Michigan vs. Western Michigan game is the top rivalry in college football for him. A CMU football alum, Bonamego said there is an extra amount of "electricity" surrounding the team this week.

"I went here. So to me, its the top rivalry in the country," Bonamego said. "The players are aware of it. It's one of those games, until you've been in it, you really can't appreciate just how intense it is."

Bonamego has asked the senior leaders on his team to explain to CMU's underclassman the significance of the annual clash between the Chippewas and Broncos.

"You can definitely tell (Bonamego) played here," senior safety Kavon Frazier said. "It's definitely more intense. All the alums. They are taking it to a new level this week. As players, we've gotta stay on an even (keel) during the game. We know it's going to be a lot of emotions in our head."

Hamilton, Eavey earn conference honors

Senior linebacker Tim Hamilton and junior kicker Brian Eavey each earned Mid-American Conference Western Division Player of the Week honors Monday.

Hamilton, a team captain, recorded 11 tackles, forced a fumble and had an interception as CMU defeated NIU Saturday.

"That's why we voted him a captain," Frazier said. "We knew he had it in him." 

Eavey, a walk-on, was 3-for-4 kicking, made his career-long (44 yards) and had his career-high (3) in kicks made.

The Chippewas face off with the Broncos at noon on Saturday at Ralph Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo. 

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →